• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whitefish - help a rural boy know what to do

gfron1

I just came into 3 biguns and I know they're common out East, but I haven't found anyone who knows what to do with them.  My guess is that this is a remedial question :)

If what you have is at all similar to Great Lakes whitefish then it is somewhat bland. The good news is that means you can do pretty much anything with it. I like it pan seared with a sauce Grenoble.

The label says: Neptune Smoked White Fish (white fish, salt, natural smoke)  so it looks like its already cooked

Oh that's a different animal altogether. I would flake it over top of a salad or have it with sour cream/fresh mayonnaise and capers on sliced French bread. Perhaps a little lemon juice.................

Ohh, what a treat! Now you can make my favorite sandwich from Zingermans - #28, Randy's Routine:

http://www.zingermansdeli.com/content/pages/menu_fish.php

"Zingerman's smoked whitefish salad, scallion cream cheese & tomato on pumpernickel bread."

Swoon :smile:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”