• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mid to High-End Tasting Menu With BYO

mrud

each year my mom and i do something like per se for a healthy dose of catching up. in the past we've done per se, aureole, bouley, chaterelle, daniel, per se 2x, and a couple of others. this year i forgot to make a rese early enuf to get per se so i'm thinking of emp or asiate. recc's have been for mas or annisa as well. must be kind of quiet because we have 3 or 4 hours of talking to do over the wine i'd like to be able to bring. btw, jg's out as i love it for lunch but not so much for dinner.

tia

Of the places you mentioned, EMP is the best choice. If you're willing to try something new, consider Corton. Some places don't allow outside wine, and if they do, corkage is likely to be exorbitant. So be sure to call in advance and ask about their policy.

Edited by oakapple (log)

emp is where i currently have a rese. byo is critical, and they're not too bad. i believe per se was @$90 so nothing else can really be too offensive in comparison!

i've been to emp quite a few times under the new regime and was hoping for some more suggestions from the board.

btw, thanks for the recc for corton and i'll check it out.

The Modern is pretty spectacular. And people over on Mouthfulsfood.com are discussing Veritas as a wonderful place. Though, I think the people at Veritas would not dare allow you to disgrace them by brining your own wine.. I have tried to Veritas a few times and felt they were stuck up asses.. You might have better luck..

veritas most definitely does not allow byo (unless you know someone way up the food chain). i agree that the modern is awesome and as with all dm's places, they do allow wine to be brought in.

thank-you

oh yeah, nice picture of winston rodney!

Edited by mrud (log)