• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Surrey in December...

sadistick

After the fantastic suggestions I received from some of you prior to our trip out to BC in the summer, I figured I would once again put my taste buds at your discretion.

We will be staying out in Surrey BC (near our clients) for 2 days in early BC -

Primarily I am looking for some good sushi, but if there are any other suggestions as must try's around the area, they would all be appreciated.

Cheers,

Surrey's not exactly the culinary capital of the region, unfortunately.

Whereabouts will you be staying and how far are you willing to travel? White Rock and Crescent Beach have some decent places, but it's a long drive if you'll be in the North Surrey area. You might be better off heading to New West or Burnaby if you're up there.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

We will be staying at the Marriott...not sure if there is more than one.

Are you sure you will be staying in Surrey? There is no Marriott in Surrey according to their web-site.

Maybe you'll be in Richmond - that's the only Marriott outside of Vancouver.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Is Richmond close to Surrey??

My secretary booked this....perhaps I should find out if she knows what shes doing! lol.

I was also told there are lots of good Indian places around there rather than Sushi...

Lets open my restrictions and ask for GOOD food period.

Cheers.

If you're staying in Richmond there is some of the best chinese food anywhere , if you're in Surrey I really feel for you

Ouch! But yeah. Here's hoping you're not in Surrey...

And Surrey is nowhere near Richmond. You'd better check and make sure you're staying in the right area...

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Surrey is a bit of a drive from Richmond. About 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. You have to go through North Delta first.

However, Richmond would be better food-wise. Surrey does have some good Indian places.....but you have a LOT to pick and choose from. It might be a bit like a lottery.

In Richmond there is excellent Chinese. Chen's Kitchen has very good soup dumplings and noodle dishes. Sea Harbour has excellent Cantonese fare. Canucklehead could give better advice than me with specific dishes, but if you look at the Chinese in Vancouver thread, Most of the recommendations are in Richmond.

As others have noted, Surrey is pretty large, geographically speaking. I have no personal knowledge of Surrey restaurants, but I offer two selections from the Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Guide for consideration:

Hong Ma No Korean Restaurant

#102, 10330-152nd St.

Surrey

604-634-0111

This hole-in-the-wall, diner-like restaurant has some of the tastiest and most affordable Korean-Chinese dishes in the ’burbs. Highlights include a generous portion of deep-fried dumplings ($8.50) and spicy seafood noodle soup ($8.50). Service is sometimes dour but an efficient kitchen means food always arrives quickly.

Mahek Restaurant and Lounge

9470-120th St.Surrey

604-585-3331

Scott Road in Surrey is an endless strip of hole-in-the wall South Asian takeout places. Surprise: Mahek features ornate furnishings and artwork that sumptuously evoke the Raj. Sauces built from the ground up are evidenced in such dishes as the deep red lamb vindaloo. Don’t leave without sampling the famed chicken chili, tandoori prawns, or fish bengali with coconut curry. And that classic, butter chicken, is done beautifully here, with a gentle murk of creamy tomato-tinged gravy (all $11.95).

Here's a link to the rest: Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Guide: Surrey. The guide was recently updated and generally I find it reliable, but you need to read between the lines a bit. You can search by neighbourhood but you have to be patient as the navigation sucks. Newly relaunched website - needs lots of tweaking.

Edited by barolo (log)

Cheers,

Anne

I'd also recomend the vinyards in south Langley - in particular Bacchus Bistro at Domaine D Chaberton. Often a price fixe menu around $40-50 and in the class of "absolutely outstanding" for food.

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

• 3 weeks later...

MY mum lives in Surrey and there is little of culinary interest there. I'd 2nd The restaurant at Domaine de Chaberton (Langley) or Mahek for Indian. In a pinch the brew pub at Central City will do.

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG