• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin's Hidden Gems

chefdavid321

Third post in like five minutes, must be a record.

Anybody here living in Austin ready to spill the beans on some great finds? I'm talking anything great and wonderful under the Central Texas sun. I know of some, but c'mon my friends, what do YOU love here in the coolest city in Texas?

I've found the mega Asian grocery on Burnett and had ok pho at a neighboring restaurant (I miss my local).

Don't limit your recommendations to restaurants or grocery stores. We in the area all need to know! Me especially, I don't know squat about what's going on in this town and I want to!

Third post in like five minutes, must be a record.

Anybody here living in Austin ready to spill the beans on some great finds?  I'm talking anything great and wonderful under the Central Texas sun.  I know of some, but c'mon my friends, what do YOU love here in the coolest city in Texas?

I've found the mega Asian grocery on Burnett and had ok pho at a neighboring restaurant (I miss my local).

Don't limit your recommendations to restaurants or grocery stores.  We in the area all need to know!  Me especially, I don't know squat about what's going on in this town and I want to!

I like Polvo's on S. First for Mexican breakfast, but there's so many good places;

Sazon on S. Lamar;

Din Ho for authentic Chinese bbq and roast duck (First Chinese BBQ is also good);

MT Supermarket on N. Lamar-a great Asian market. Great resource for oddities-offal, pork belly, live Dungeness crabs, chicken feet, etc.;

Ginger Man-great beer bar-83 taps, lots of local brews;

Lockhart-BBQ Capitol of Texas;

Iron Works BBQ-if you can't make it to Lockhart;

Hut's-great burgers;

Flip Happy Crepes-Airstream trailer off S. Lamar;

Uncle Billy's-BBQ and local brewpub;

Vespaio-awesome Italian-influenced comfort food;

Hoover's-great home-cooking.

Oat Willie's-legendary head shop;

UT Tailgating-nuff said-UT-v-A&M, Fri. Nov.28

Farmer's Markets-Sunset Valley and downtown-Saturday mornings.

How's that for starters?

Frank in Austin