• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pakistani Cookbooks?

wannabechef

Hi,

I'm interested in learning how to cook Pakistani/Indian food. I want a book that has relatively simple recipes and is for a beginner of this type of cuisine.

The reason I say Pakistani and not Indian, is that I feel that I enjoy food in Pakistani restaurants generally more than Indian. I know they are similar in many ways, and even have many of the same dishes and ingredients, but I generally found the Pakistani versions to be spicer and generally more flavorful. I also would like to learn some good meat dishes and kebabs, and I know a lot of Indian books are more veg-centric.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - WBC

When in doubt, search for SBS Food Safari!

Edit to add:

I don't know about Pakistani food but if you're still interested, I have a really good Indian cookbook that features fairly simple yet authentic recipes.

It's called 'Simple Indian: The Fresh Taste of India's New Cuisine' by Atul Kochhar.

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

Atul Kochhar's book & restaurant are very good.

As is 50 Great Curries of India by Camellia Panjabi, a bit of a bible.

Am off to Goa in 3wks and am as excitable as an 8yr old about it! :biggrin:

here are some Kochhar recipes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/recipes...r&submit=Search

Edited by adey73 (log)

The reason I say Pakistani and not Indian, is that I feel that I enjoy food in Pakistani restaurants generally more than Indian. I know they are similar in many ways, and even have many of the same dishes and ingredients...

Hmmm.

The cooking of most of the population of Pakistan, would I think be described as Punjabi in style. But I'm sure things get different towards the Afghan and Iranian borders, for example. And in Kashmir...

Most "Indian" restaurants (I think worldwide, not just in the UK) are actually Bengali or Bangladeshi. Bangladesh, being Moslem and once actually part of Pakistan, shares a certain amount of dietary code with Pakistan, but Bengali cuisine would differ somewhat from Punjabi...

I think its as much of a mistake to talk about "Indian" cooking as it would be to talk about "European" cooking. Its a colossal generalisation!

There are distinctly different regional cuisines in the sub-continent, and I think that distinguishing them would be a great place to start.

Madhur Jaffrey's book 'Tastes of India' was a great primer. I think its been republished under the title 'Flavours of India' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavours-India-Mad.../dp/0563370777/

I think this book may have other identities in the USA including http://www.amazon.com/Madhur-Jaffreys-Flav.../dp/1884656064/ but the point is that this is an inexpensive book structured by the regional cuisines.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thanks everyone. I searched online for some Pakistani recipes and found that even for dishes of the same name, there are wide variations in the recipes. This includes spices used, method of cooking, etc. I was really surprised about this, but as others said in the thread, I guess Indian and Pakistani cultures are themselves so complex and diverse, that depending on what region, etc, there may be a hundred variations of the same dish. So, I guess I just have to use trial and eror and try a bunch off different recipes and stick with whichever version I like best.

I will defiantely check out some of the books and sites you guys recomended. Thanks!

~WBC