• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tamagoyaki ?

Kuma

Hi all,

I just watched this video:

- now, I thought Tamagoyaki was the rolled omelet you make in the square pan. Now I'm confused.

Do these Tamagoyaki contain the egg yolk only, or a slice of rolled omelet ?

:huh:

Tamagoyaki is another name for Akashiyaki. Akashi is the name of the city in Hyogo prefecture where the dish was originated. Akashiyaki or tamagoyaki is said to be the origin of present-day takoyaki.

It should also be noted that tamagoyaki has another meaning. It's a generic term for any type of fried eggs. It can mean eggs simply panfried (not rolled), and it can also mean atsuyaki tamago (rolled omelet in Kanto, which contains sugar and is sweet) and dashimaki tamago (rolled omelet in Kansai, which usually does not contain sugar but a small about of mirin and is, therefore, less sweet).

Ah... That explains a lot - thanks, Hiroyuki!!

So a slice of rolled omelet should work in place of the chunk of tako? A really rich version might be using a salted duck egg yolk instead (or maybe a quarter of one, those things are strong.... :)

So a slice of rolled omelet should work in place of the chunk of tako?  A really rich version might be using a salted duck egg yolk instead (or maybe a quarter of one, those things are strong.... :)

From here,

Akashiyaki (明石焼き, Akashiyaki?) or Akashi no tamagoyaki (明石の玉子焼き, Akashi no tamagoyaki?) is a small round dumpling from the city of Akashi in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. Made of an egg-rich batter and octopus dipped into dashi (a thin fish broth) before eating, locals in the Akashi area refer to it simply as tamagoyaki.

I've never hand Akashiyaki before. Has anyone else ever had Akashiyaki?

So a slice of rolled omelet should work in place of the chunk of tako?  A really rich version might be using a salted duck egg yolk instead (or maybe a quarter of one, those things are strong.... :)

From here,

Akashiyaki (明石焼き, Akashiyaki?) or Akashi no tamagoyaki (明石の玉子焼き, Akashi no tamagoyaki?) is a small round dumpling from the city of Akashi in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan. Made of an egg-rich batter and octopus dipped into dashi (a thin fish broth) before eating, locals in the Akashi area refer to it simply as tamagoyaki.

I've never hand Akashiyaki before. Has anyone else ever had Akashiyaki?

I lived in Akashi for a couple months on exchange at the start of 2000. I do vaguely remember eating something that was like a very eggy takoyaki - it was probably Akashiyaki. I was in high school at the time though, and I was much more keen on junk food :hmmm: