• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butcher and Singer

brescd01

I could not resist trying Butcher and Singer, I have to admit I am not into the sophisticated continental cuisine promoted by its predecessor Striped Bass.

I took my wife and we paid $194 for two with tax and tip, the most expensive meal I have ever had. We had two of everything except dessert, of which we shared one (the Baked Alaska).

We started with asparagus and the Butcher Salad. Nothing special.

For entrees my wife got the Delmonico and I got Steak Diane. My wife's steak was excellent of course. And my Steak Diane was fine, but boring.

Each of us got a side dish (mushrooms and creamed spinach) and a cocktail (sidecars), which were very strong. Service was warm and eager-to-please.

The hostesses were busty and warm (what a surprise). The baked Alaska was too sweet, I remember Oceanaire's being better (more unique), and that is not a restaurant I care for (at least the Philadelphia iteration).

Don't get me wrong, there was nothing bad. But I think a dish like steak diane or the salads need a contemporary stamp, in the way the Barclay Prime puts its own stamp on what are really traditional steakhouse dishes.

I don't know what to say, I guess I really want to hear from industry mavens, will they revise their menu? Did I go too soon?

Edited by brescd01 (log)

I could not resist trying Butcher and Singer, I have to admit I am not into the sophisticated continental cuisine promoted by its predecessor Striped Bass.

I took my wife and we paid $194 for two with tax and tip, the most expensive meal I have ever had. We had two of everything except dessert, of which we shared one (the Baked Alaska).

We started with asparagus and the Butcher Salad. Nothing special.

For entrees my wife got the Delmonico and I got Steak Diane. My wife's steak was excellent of course. And my Steak Diane was fine, but boring.

Each of us got a side dish (mushrooms and creamed spinach) and a cocktail (sidecars), which were very strong. Service was warm and eager-to-please.

The hostesses were busty and warm (what a surprise). The baked Alaska was too sweet, I remember Oceanaire's being better (more unique), and that is not a restaurant I care for (at least the Philadelphia iteration).

Don't get me wrong, there was nothing bad. But I think a dish like steak diane or the salads need a contemporary stamp, in the way the Barclay Prime puts its own stamp on what are really traditional steakhouse dishes.

I don't know what to say, I guess I really want to hear from industry mavens, will they revise their menu? Did I go too soon?

Disclaimer: I have not eaten at Butcher and Singer yet. One friend who has eaten at both Barclay prime, and Butcher and Singer described the difference as Prime emphasizes the cuts of meat they serve, and Butcher is the traditional steak house (ironic ... shouldnt the butcher specialize in meats.) If you think of the standard chain steak houess what stands out at Capital Grille, Mortons, Ruth Chris.. I dont dine at them enough to know whether they are known for their bordelaise, their creamed spinach, their wine list, or their pretentious waiters. But perhaps the steakhouse experience is more about ambience and less about execution of the dishes. My two cents worth.... that and four dollars will get you a bitter cup of coffee at Starbucks.