• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Larvae & Bugs in Short Grain Rice

VivreManger

I have a fifteen pound bag of Tamanishiki super premium short grain rice from Sacramento which I purchased more than a year ago. There is now about a pound or two left. Recently I noticed some bugs flying in the corked glass jar where I had stored part of it. I also checked the plastic bag where the rest of it is stored. Although no bugs were flying there, there are plenty of white larvae.

I strained and rinsed a cup of rice several times, yielding several of the larvae. I can't be certain that I have removed them all.

Previously I had cooked a cup of it, without prior cleaning, and noticed the multiple larvae so I threw the whole thing out.

I asked the clerk at the store where I had first bought it and she thought it not worth worrying about. Though she did tell me to clean it first.

Any advice out there?

Don't worry.  Just wash well, and if you don't wash well, think of it as extra protein.

. . . and tell us what they taste like.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I keep all my rice in the freezer to avoid that extra protein!

I'd do that too, but it's hard to stick a 5kg bag of rice in my regular-sized refrigerator freezer compartment, and still have room for other stuff.

I recently bought some kind of "medicine" that's supposed to help keep the bugs out of my rice. Haven't figured out if it's working, because I added it after I already had bugs. Oops. I'm hoping it will at least kill whatever is already in there, or at least prevent them from procreating.

Don't worry.  Just wash well, and if you don't wash well, think of it as extra protein.

. . . and tell us what they taste like.

Chicken?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

You have a food moth infestation. I had the same problem; they get everywhere. I took the way the UK addresses foot and mouth, mad cow..... I got rid of them by throwing out anything they would eat not in a closed container. Then, I washed down my cabinets and any place a dead moth was found. Draconian? You betcha! This was the only way to get rid of them Any time I brought home anything, into a closed container it would go. By the way, a closed container must be solid, they will eat through paper. If they return, they will be contained.

Edited by Mikels (log)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...hl=pantry+moths

:sad:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association