• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

URGENT: Bistro Cooking lemon tart ingredients

pstock

I would like to make (this evening, that is to say in about 2 hours here in the UK) the lemon tart in Patricia Well's Bistro Cooking book, but I am travelling, don't have my copy and can't remember a few details. Does anyone have one handy and could check some details for me?

1. it's either 5 eggs and 4 lemons or the other way around.

2. how much sugar does she call for?

3. is there any cream involved? Or is it just "whisk the eggs and sugar into the lemon juice and then pour it into the half-baked pie shell"?

thanks

Peter

Looks like it's here: Wanted Quiche or Tart Recipe - Mombu the Cuisine Forum

Search for 'Patricia' and you'll see the recipe right there.

Cheers.

To answer your question directly:

2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)

1/2 cup sugar

3 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream

5 large eggs

1 Pâte Sablée shell -- pre-baked and cooled

Whisk the lemon juice, sugar, and cream until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Pour into tart shell and bake at 190C (375F) for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, place on rack to cool and serve at room temp.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

How Cool is that? thank you thank you thank you.

(and to think I was just arguing with someone about the value of the INternet.)

peter!

Looks like it's here: Wanted Quiche or Tart Recipe - Mombu the Cuisine Forum

Search for 'Patricia' and you'll see the recipe right there.

Cheers.

To answer your question directly:

2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)

1/2 cup sugar

3 tablespoons crème fraiche or heavy cream

5 large eggs

1 Pâte Sablée shell -- pre-baked and cooled

Whisk the lemon juice, sugar, and cream until well blended.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

Pour into tart shell and bake at 190C (375F) for 15 to 20 minutes.  Remove from oven, place on rack to cool and serve at room temp.