• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fall fruit salad

CDRFloppingham

eGulleters,

I'm planning a brunch for next Sunday. I need a light fruit course between bigger dishes.

To me, fall fruits are apples and pomegrenates...not particularly well suited to a simple but elegant fruit salad (I don't just want to cube some apples).

Any ideas for components and presentation?

Thanks so much.

Floppy

A friend of mine recently made a salad that consisted of poached pears, sliced, topped with shaved aged gouda cheese and candied walnuts. It was really good, if a little monochromatic. But if you sprinkled on a few pomegranate seeds you'd have a pretty and different kind of fruit salad.

Waldorf Salad with Craisens (the dried, sweetened cranberries that are by Ocean Spray, I think) Celery, apples, mayo, walnuts or pecans (toasted) and a good bunch of the cranberries. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Pomegranate seeds are great in salads. How about a fruit-vegetable salad: a heap of colorful greens topped with white beans, pomegranate seeds and pecans or walnuts? You could add some other fruits like sliced starfruits or pears or whatever.

I have some friends who would push the pom seeds aside because they are unfamiliar. If you have access to cheap poms and firm crisp apples I could see a rough julienne of the apples (tossed with a little lemon juice) and then either set in a small puddle or drizzled with a pom syrup. I have juice d fresh ones and then reduced, adjusting with a neutral sugar if needed. Sprinkle fresh seeds around perimeter for visual, and those who like them will eat them.

Waldorf Salad with Craisens (the dried, sweetened cranberries that are by Ocean Spray, I think) Celery, apples, mayo, walnuts or pecans (toasted) and a good bunch of the cranberries. HTH!

I eat this exact salad about twice a week, I looooove it. The different kinds of crunchy, bland, tangy, creamy, it's one of my all time favorite salads.

Do you have access to persimmons? I always think of those as a fall fruit. The orange colour would provide a nice contrast if you julienned apples and persimmons and tossed them together. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup?

For simplicity's sake- a strong, tart apple, a persimmon, and pomegranate seeds with honey-lemon-ginger dressing, fresh mint, and maybe some candied pumpkin seeds.

Fall fruit panzanella- fig, persimmon, pear with maple-roasted walnuts and rosemary-asiago croutons.

Caramelized butternut squash, pear, fennel, dates, and toasted almonds, on some peppery lettuce.

if you are plating the salads, then you could core & slice into rings, instead of cubing. Alternate with some nutty cheese (or blue cheese, but not in my house), top w/ chopped nuts and the poms (or craisins, or dried blueberries). Dressing optional, but a lemon infused olive oil might be nice. If you are able to find honeycrisp apples, they keep their color after cutting.

Karen Dar Woon