• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence

Sampaguita

One of our guests left behind a copy of the 2008 Gambero Rosso guide, which I have been browsing through, especially interested to compare their ratings of restaurants which I have eaten.

In browsing through the top end, I came across the Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence, which is rated at 93 points, very high on their scale, but with a fixed menu price given at 320 euro vini esci.

Now I have in the days of my indulgent youth eaten at some very expensive restaurants world wide, but I can't ever remember seeing one at this price, so I am really curious if any of the EG readers have eaten at this place and their opinions on the cuisine.

Edited by Sampaguita (log)

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

with wine plan on about 500 Euro per person.

not a misprint.

one of the worlds best wine cellars.

food is 210 I think for the tasting menu plus wine.

if you do the pairings, that adds up.

I hear it makes a grown man weep... for the choices of wines.

Not much you can give a grown man to please him that much...

A bottle of great wine can be 250..

I have been once, and was taken there. may go back.. when I win the lotto!

My wife and I had dinner there about 15 years ago. The food was outstanding. That said, it was the most pretentious place I have ever seen. We were seated in a room with all the English and Japanese speakers, and one under-dressed, young Italian couple. The servers were all very young and rather impersonal. No server ever carried more than one thing at a time, so if you ordered two of anything, they sent two servers so they could put them down in unison. We had a menu with a number of small courses. The highlight was when they brought us oversized plates with huge silver domes over them. After setting them down together, they lifted the domes and revealed a small piece of fish alone in the center of each plate. My wife and I could not help a small laugh.

They did not bring us the wine list with the menus- only a card with wine pairings. They were great wines, but unbelievably expensive. I asked for the wine list and they brought it. I thought it was odd I had to ask for it. The list was very large and had some nice wines that were reasonably priced, along with great wines that were not.

It was a very nice dinner. The food was inventive and delicious, even if the show was a bit much. I ordered an espresso that was almost thimble-sized, very good, and, if I remember correctly, cost the equivalent of about $15. It was a fitting end to the meal.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on my recent visit… Nothing to “wow” about other than the price tag:

A Premium Wine Pairing of €10,000 per person and requires a minimum of 2 people!!!!

gallery_57364_5484_25605.jpg

This artwork is interesting, illustrating a mouse on the right going through a maze for the cheese on the left.

gallery_57364_5484_29517.jpg

But it’s more for show only.

Full Meal Here

Fine Dining Explorer

www.finediningexplorer.com