• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

canned fish in Japan

skylarking

Hi everyone!

I have noticed that there is a lot of canned fish in Japan (not just tuna). The price is often quite reasonable. How do you use them? Do you take the fish out of the can and broil it? Do you put the can directly in the oven or in the fish grill? Do you add them to other dishes? Thanks for your advice.

I love canned fish! I always have a couple cans on hand for quick meals. For me they are divided into two categories, flavored (aji-tsuki 味付) and plain-water packed (mizu-ni 水煮).

The flavored ones (usually kabayaki flavor) I eat plain straight out of the can, no heating at all. :blink: I am sure you can heat them up in the microwave or even grill them but for me that would defeat the purpose of an easy meal....

The water packed ones I usually add to dishes, one good example is Hiroyuki's majo furikake (magic rice sprinkles) from the furikakre thread. Here is a direct link.

ETA

Welcome to eGullet and cool name!

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm a big fan of Harumi's somen salad with tuna. Boil then cool one bunch of somen noodles. Add thinly sliced onion, cucumber, ground pepper and mayonnaise to taste, along with one small thin of tuna, drained. It's a great side-dish, or packed lunch.

Besides canned mackerel (both "miso ni" and "mizu ni"), I like "sanma no kabayaki" (saury grilled with kabayaki (sweet, soy-based) sauce).

Sanma no kayayaki images

Of of all the cans of sanma no kabayaki, I like this particular brand the best:

Choshita no Kabayaki

Just open the can and have it with hot rice.