• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The £250 Challenge

Mrs Harters' employer has just given her a bonus in the form of being able to spend up to £250 on a single meal (for the two of us).

For a variety of reasons (not least, we are not financially flush at present), we want to spend this nearish to home and not have to cough up for overnight hotels, travel or whatever.

So, within an hour's drive of Manchester (or not too much more), where would you suggest?

John

John Hartley

• 1 month later...

Well, Mrs H's employer decided to be even more appreciative of her contribution to global capitalism - so we're booked in at L'Enclume and staying overnight with them. Which should mean we can squeeze in lunch at the Highwayman next day.

Unfortunately this means we have only enough left over for two houses in Wigan.

John Hartley

Well, Mrs H's employer decided to be even more appreciative of her contribution to global capitalism - so we're booked in at L'Enclume and staying overnight with them. Which should mean we can squeeze in lunch at the Highwayman next day.

Unfortunately this means we have only enough left over for two houses in Wigan.

Would have been my choice, why not try lunch at their new place Rogan & Company and go for the whole Cartmel experience.

A trip to R&C would be a good idea. We went for lunch today and were happy the menu had completely changed since our last visit a few months ago. There was nothing on there that didn't make my mouth water. I could eat there every day.

There's a B&B in the main square at Cartmel that offer non-residents lunch. You're effectively sat in this old fellah's house, while he makes your dinner and serves it to you. Peculiar in the most charming way possible.

I've not been yet but Juniper got very good reviews in the MEN - I believe the chef has brought his whole brigade up from his place in the South West so it should be good...

http://www.citylife.co.uk/restaurants/revi...star_perfection

:smile:

I had prob the worst tasting ever at Juniper a few weeks ago, will write up soon. In fact it must be hard for you food critics to be motivated to write about bad food!!!

I had prob the worst tasting ever at Juniper a few weeks ago, will write up soon. In fact it must be hard for you food critics to be motivated to write about bad food!!!

I was wondering when you were going to get around to mentioning that :wink: