• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

candied walnuts

devlin

I used to have a tiny slip of paper I'd scribbled a very easy recipe for candied walnuts on, but after a gazillion moves I can't find it.

After googling all the heck over the place, I came up with about a gazillion of instructions for baking the walnuts in sugar, or boiling with water and sugar.

But I swear the recipe I used to have called for granulated sugar and walnuts only. But I'd like to have a better idea of the values of those elements before I screw up a bunch of walnuts which seem to get pricier by the nanosecond.

Anybody have a simple ratio of nuts to sugar to share?

I have one for spiced pecans. It's really good if you want to try it with your walnuts, let me know and I'll post it for you.

I don't think you'd want to boil them. That's got to change the texture. My pecans are tossed then roasted. It gives them crunch. quite addicting.

This is the recipe I use; it calls for 1/2 cup of sugar per pound of walnuts. I add cayenne to the sugar to spice them up, but it's the same ratio without it. Don't omit the oil -- it give the nuts a gloss they don't get otherwise.

I'm looking for a very hard finish to the walnut, and one that's not spiced as it's to accompany a cake that just wouldn't work with a spiced, candied walnut. I'm going to go on the assumption here that Jaz's would work, minus the cayenne.

Thanks.

Jacques Torres has a recipe in his book Dessert Circus for a caramelized almond that he then coats with chocolate. I haven't tried it with almonds or walnuts, but it works wonderfully for peanuts, and I've never bothered with the chocolate because they're quite addictive as is. I have a cat purring on my lap and therefore can't (won't?) go downstairs to check my copy of the book, but the recipe seems to be available on line here.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Michael Recchuiti has a recipe for sugared hazelnuts which are then dipped in chocolate in his book, Chocolate Obsession. I don't have the book but have used it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Maybe I'm misremembering not including water, but the more I think about it, it was a simple matter of melting sugar in a large frying pan, adding the nuts, stirring, and voila. I'm going to try both ways, with and without water to see how it goes. At any rate, the method rendered a perfectly candied, hard coated walnut, and they were wonderful.

Thanks for the Torres recipe.

This is the recipe I use; it calls for 1/2 cup of sugar per pound of walnuts. I add cayenne to the sugar to spice them up, but it's the same ratio without it. Don't omit the oil -- it give the nuts a gloss they don't get otherwise.

where's the oil?? And highchef could I get your recipe? Lately I am into spiced nuts! I add sugar and chipotle when toasting my nuts, they come out nicely. Thanks!

David Lebovitz has some excellent photos of the progress of the candying in his version of candied peanuts.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

where's the oil?? And highchef could I get your recipe? Lately I am into spiced nuts! I add sugar and chipotle when toasting my nuts, they come out nicely. Thanks!

I'm thinking this is not what Devlin was looking for, but they are awesome. I'm making some this evening. enjoy.

this makes 3 cups, but I always double it.

1 egg white

1 tablespoon orange juice

2/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon grated (fresh) orange peel

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups pecan halves

heat oven to 275. grease or silpat a 11/15 jellyroll pan.

beat egg white and orange juice until frothy, add sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. mix well and toss with pecans to coat. bake 45 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring every 15 minutes or so. keep airtight...I use ziploc bags. longtime storage is not a problem because I have to give them away quickly or I eat them ALL.

Highchef, that sound's really interesting. Even though the last thing I need is another food addiction, I'm going to give it a try.

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't bake them on parchment, rather than a Silpat?

pat

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

I'm thinking this is not what Devlin was looking for, but they are awesome. I'm making some this evening. enjoy.

1 egg white

2/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups pecan halves

beat egg white and orange juice until frothy, add sugar, orange peel, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. mix well and toss with pecans to coat. bake 45 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring every 15 minutes or so. keep airtight...I use ziploc bags. longtime storage is not a problem because I have to give them away quickly or I eat them ALL.

In one recipe, you have managed to include just about all my favorites. Pecans are the best. And oranges. And ginger and cinnamon. And sugar. Perhaps they should then be dipped in 70% dark and you would have them all!!! Today for sure. Thanks. :wub::wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Highchef, that sound's really interesting. Even though the last thing I need is another food addiction, I'm going to give it a try. 

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't bake them on parchment, rather than a Silpat?

pat

Pat, the original recipe calls for a greased pan, I just threw the silpat in to keep from having to wash the pan, though you still have to wash the silpat so it's really a moot point. I haven't used parchment because of the stirring. The silpat keeps down, but I thought the parchment would tend to buckle, etc. so I didn't try it. If you opt for the greased pan, you should have relatively easy clean up. The sugar and eggwhites make a shell that's hard to clean if you don't grease well. They're worth making just for the smell. Kind of gets you in the mood for the holidays.

pat

Pat, the original recipe calls for a greased pan, I just threw the silpat in to keep from having to wash the pan, though you still have to wash the silpat so it's really a moot point. I haven't used parchment because of the stirring. The silpat keeps down, but I thought the parchment would tend to buckle, etc. so I didn't try it. If you opt for the greased pan, you should have relatively easy clean up. The sugar and eggwhites make a shell that's hard to clean if you don't grease well. They're worth making just for the smell. Kind of gets you in the mood for the holidays.

The stirring, Of Course! (Slaps head with hand.) Thank you! These really sound wonderful and perfect for adding to goodie gift bags at Christmas. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Devlin, I apologize for this thread drifting off course.

pat

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

pat

The stirring, Of Course! (Slaps head with hand.) Thank you! These really sound wonderful and perfect for adding to goodie gift bags at Christmas. Thank you for posting the recipe.

Devlin, I apologize for this thread drifting off course.

pat

Heavens! No need to apologize. I love drifty threads. All useful stuff.

Drift on!

[i'm thinking this is not what Devlin was looking for, but they are awesome. I'm making some this evening. enjoy.

1 egg white

2/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups pecan halves

Please, someone come quickly to the house and take away these coated almonds before I eat them ALL!!! A-1 recipe, Highchef

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

:biggrin: My nuts are in the oven right now!!!! Is the layer supposed to be flat or should they be in a lumpish heap? Can't wait to nibble!

editted because the aroma is amazing! I mixed them and tasted one and already I just love it just LOVE it!!! Thanks!!!! :shock:

Edited by Lior (log)

ya know if you want a hard candy crust like coating you should think of using egg whites.

A simple recipe would be to use egg whites, some sugar, any spices you want and cover the walnuts, finish it with some granulated sugar bake at 350 till its crusty.

The egg whites do not add any flavor, but they do crust the toppings on. Use whatever your recipe is, just toss the walnuts in egg whites first...

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.