• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bastard condiments?

Recoil Rob

On 6/11/2019 at 11:22 PM, kayb said:

Today while perusing the grocery shelves looking for plain old French's ballpark yellow mustard, I saw "Perinaise."

I passed.

??

Mayo with peri-peri?

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 6/21/2019 at 7:39 PM, chromedome said:

??

Mayo with peri-peri?

That was all I could presume. I didn't look very closely.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Makes sense. Sriracha mayo's been around for a while now, I guess they're looking for something more novel.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

By and large I shun prefab seasonings but recently came across (read: fell for) Herdez Guacamole Sslsa.   Woohoo!!!   Just enough zest and not as sour as Srirachi.    I'm the only one on the house who uses it but bottles keep disappearing.    Except for desserts, I haven't found a food it disagrees with.   Well, almost!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

• 1 year later...

"Mt. Olive Pickle Company Debuts Pickle Salsa and Dill Pickle Brine 'Juicers'"

Mt. Olive's new Pickle Salsa is available in three varieties—mild, medium, and hot— and can be purchased nationwide at grocery stores such as Albertsons, Safeway, Ingles, Harris Teeter, Food City, Publix, and more.
...Mt. Olive has also announced the debut of Pickle Juicers, a marinade or cocktail ingredient (or, for the brine enthusiasts, a straight sipper to gulp on its own) made from the company's 100% Kosher Dill Pickle Brine. 

I'm not too sure about the salsa. The photo of the pickle salsa in the article looks a little too juicy/wet for dipping tortilla chips into it. Most salsas have more of a thickness to the sauce which helps it stay on the chip.

If anyone spies either of these products in their local grocery stores, please take one for the team.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

I'm not too sure about the salsa. The photo of the pickle salsa in the article looks a little too juicy/wet for dipping tortilla chips into it. Most salsas have more of a thickness to the sauce which helps it stay on the chip.

If anyone spies either of these products in their local grocery stores, please take one for the team.

Pickle salsa looks like it might be tasty in a sandwich.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, Toliver said:

Now I think I have seen just about everything:

"Kraft introduces 'Salad Frosting' to help trick your kids into eating more vegetables"

Kids aren't stupid and they know what Ranch dressing tastes like. It's a one-time gimmick and you're back at square one. ¬¬

Seems logical because most commercial salad dressing tastes full of sugar to me anyway

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

46 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Seems logical because most commercial salad dressing tastes full of sugar to me anyway

Pity the poor kids hooked on Momofuku ranch.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, Toliver said:

Looks like dumbed down salsa.  Pickles (or plain cucumber?) replaces raw onion, peppers and cilantro?  Sounds pretty boring but hey, good for them for trying. 

My little one loves 'sushi sc'. My version, mayo, siracha, ketchup and a dash of fish sc.  Nice on sandwiches or anything battered/fried. 

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken