• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bastard condiments?

Recoil Rob

Of late one of my favorite sandwich fixin's is Hellman's Mayonnaise mixed with an Indian Pickle.

I'm speaking of the Indian condiment, usually lime or mango pickle. You know, the stuff that smells like Kiwi Shoe Polish, you either love it or hate it. It's always too chunky to spread on a sandwich so I often take a jar and puree it a bit for convenience.

Mixed with the Hellman's it has quickly become a favorite on sandwiches made with turkey, chicken, pheasant, any kind of white meat and sometimes even leftover hanger steak.

Anyone care to offer up their favorite "bastard condiment"?

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)
  • Thanks 1

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

I often mix mustard (home made and commercial - I have a "thing" for mustard) with the SE Asian sweet chili sauce. Mae Ploy is my favorite brand.

I just received an order of international mustards (6) from The Mustard Museum, plus a sweatshirt hoodie and a T-shirt.

I really do love mustard. :wub:

I also mix Indonesian sambals with mayo, mustard and often add a tiny bit (it is rather spicy!) to various commercial salad dressings that need a little something to perk them up.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Somewhere in my memory I have the idea that the MacDonalds "Big Mac Special Sauce" was simply mayo, ketchup & mustard. I still like that for burgers and fries.

• Thanks 1

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and hot sauce.

Dijon mustard and salsa (Discovered it in a recipe as a topping/sauce for chicken breasts, along with melted cheddar, scallions, etc).

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Creamed horseradish from a jar + mayo + soy sauce = happiness

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I just received an order of international mustards (6) from The Mustard Museum, plus a sweatshirt hoodie and a T-shirt.

I really do love mustard. 

Andie, you must try the mustards from Kozliks ( Canadian Company). He makes over 60 varieties and they rock!!

I really do love mustard. 

Andie, you must try the mustards from Kozliks ( Canadian Company). He makes over 60 varieties and they rock!!

Thank you! I have the site in another window, going there to place an order post haste!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Creamed horseradish from a jar + mayo + soy sauce = happiness

Horseradish and mayo are great for meatloaf sandwiches and roast beef sandwiches. I never thought about adding soy...will have to give it a try!

My sister-in-law makes a chipotle & mayo condiment that's great on chicken sandwiches or used as a dip for quesadillas or tacquitos.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Clearly, mayo and soy sauce are keys to a good Bastard Condiment.

I also like Marmite dissolved in a bit of vinegar, with maple syrup and a modicum of cayenne powder.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Mayonnaise, tomato ketchup and worcestershire sauce. Makes the best cocktail sauce. Try it on a retro shrimp cocktail with iceberg lettuce.

Yes. I'm not sure what they're selling in those jars, but it is vulgar stuff.