• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Tarrytown and Yonkers

Beth E.

I am driving my daughter to a friend's bat mitzvah in New York. The Bar Mitzvah itself takes place in Tarrytown followed by a luncheon in Yonkers. It is Saturday. I will be coming from NJ and don't have a clue about what to do for the day while I am in the area.

Any ideas for a lunch place for me while the princess parties the day away? I'm not looking for expensive. What else is there to do in the area?

Help please! Thanks.

I am driving my daughter to a friend's bat mitzvah in New York. The Bar Mitzvah itself takes place in Tarrytown followed by a luncheon in Yonkers. It is Saturday. I will be coming from NJ and don't have a clue about what to do for the day while I am in the area.

Any ideas for a lunch place for me while the princess parties the day away? I'm not looking for expensive. What else is there to do in the area?

Help please! Thanks.

Stone Barns is just up the road from Tarrytown in the Rockefeller state park, Blue Hills have an outpost there but there's also a lovely little cafe which does a variety of hearty things (we were there in March and had hot shredded pork sandwiches and great soups). You can also go see the anim,als and crops that they raise there and use in the restaurants, nice little gift shop too.

I think Xavier's H20 / on the hudson is the new, best option in Yonkers, but I haven't been. It's peter Kelly, supposedly he's a very good chef. He probably should have won the Iron Chef episode he was on

I've been and it's very good (esp for the location). Reminded me of Gotham. Lots of impressive componenets on the plate but nothing you haven't experienced before (except for the pretty views on the Hudson). More of a formal/special occassion spot though. The venison w/figs and foie was exceptional.

And I didn't see it but from this link looks like he spanked Flay. Anyone see it? http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1277/CUSTOM0401

That wasn't chicken

I'll second a visit to stone barns. You can eat something simple in the cafe and check out the grounds. On Saturday's they have tours and events. Its an amazing place and you can spend a significant amount of time their if you like. Check out their website Stone Barns

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar