• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate: callets (feves, pistoles) or blocks?

ejw50

chocolate purchasing question, really gathering opinions.

I can buy Callebaut in blocks at a local store for $3.50 a pound for the 11 lb block.

I could buy Callebaut callets for around $5.50 a pound in the 22 lb bags, plus shipping.

For those of you who use callets (or feves, pistoles, whatever): is it worth it?

I don't have a business to run, but for one batch of chocolates (~400 or so) this would run about $25-30 or so extra in costs per batch.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

If its just for one batch I would go with the block, its a great price ( especially now ) and some extra chopping its worth the saving ( for me ). I personally use callet/wafer etc. its more convinient for a bigger production and I dont get a good price locally so if I have to order I prefer to go with the callets, plus my hands are already overused and I could spare them the chopping :raz:

Vanessa

I've moved over to the callets quite happily, but when I used the blocks a lot I didn't bother to do much chopping - just put them in the bowl in big chunks. In the microwave they melt just as well as they do chopped.

See if the store will get the callets for you; if they are getting the blocks, they could probably get the callets and save you the shipping....

good thought. I see you are from Boston, I am too! The store I'm talking about is Marty's Liquors in Newton, FYI. Great place to get chocolate.

• 2 months later...

OK first thanks to Jeanne who got me some callets. I was lucky enough to see her production and she runs a clean kitchen with emphasis on taste in her products. She also went way out on a limb buying ~$300 worth of stuff for a person she knew nothing about!

I made a batch of chocolates this weekend using callets.

IMO, callets are actually *cheaper*. Not cheaper in materials, but cheaper overall. They're a lot cleaner than blocks (which spray chunks everywhere when I cut them), which saves cleanup time. Also they're faster when seeding because I"m not blowing time cutting them into small pieces.

So basically the saved labor cost makes up for the increased materials cost.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

I help a friend in his commercial kitchen and we use blocks and pistoles. Pistoles are more convenient to work with, but some of the chocolate we use only comes in five kilo blocks. I coarse chop the blocks and run those pieces through a food processor to get small/fine pieces. Our standard recipe use four pounds of chocolate so I often practice making various garnishes like shards and curls when chopping the block. I change the angle and thickness of the cuts to get various textures/sizes. It's kind of neat when I get everything "just right" and all the fine "needles" fall of the knife blade as I slice through the block.

Each manufacturer has different size pistoles. Guittard has the largest of the brands we use. Peters is in-between, and Cacao Barry and Callebaut are the smallest.

I moved over to Callets a few years ago and when my supplier was sold out of the dark chocolate variety this past December, I had to move over to the blocks and cut/chop as before. Talk about a feeling like a walk back in time. I much prefer the Callets. I am paying $220.00 for a case (two 22# bags per case) so, that equates to about $5.00/pound. Maybe one day when my chocolate company takes off and I become the next Norman Love, I'll be able to afford a large 100# or higher chocolate melter - just put in the blocks let them melt and off you go...sort of

I moved over to Callets a few years ago and when my supplier was sold out of the dark chocolate variety this past December, I had to move over to the blocks and cut/chop as before.  Talk about a feeling like a walk back in time.  I much prefer the Callets.  I am paying $220.00 for a case (two 22# bags per case) so, that equates to about $5.00/pound.  Maybe one day when my chocolate company takes off and I become the next Norman Love, I'll be able to afford a large 100# or higher chocolate melter - just put in the blocks let them melt and off you go...sort of

Hi RobertM I'm also from VA (Just south of Richmond). I have bought some of my chocolate from The Chef's Warehouse in Hanover, Md. The last time I bought Callabaut callets it cost $186.09 for a case of 2/10k bags. This was the milk choc. #823. That was in Oct. of 08. :smile:

Pat