• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Liver

sadistick

So...I have a pack of some nice kosher chicken liver to cook up tonight...

As with most of my liver adventures, I stick to Bacon/Onions/seared to med and de-glaze with balsamic...

Now I am not one to stray too far from a good thing, but I was thinking...what else can I do with these!?

I know the Italians have a pasta sauce that includes chicken liver, but I have not been able to find it for the life of me, or at least, from a reputable source.

So I ask to you, what would you do with the livers to spice things up a bit?

Cheers.

I make chicken liver pate the same way I make duck liver pate, and its almost as good.

Heavy cream and cognac is the key, and not overcooking the livers.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

As weird as this might sound..  I've made biscuits with chicken liver before. Just pureed it and adjusted everything else to make up for the added moisture.  The small biscuits made for an interesting snack.

That's interesting, could you provide more details?

I make chicken liver pate the same way I make duck liver pate, and its almost as good.

There's an interesting recipe for chicken "Faux Gras" in Martin Richard's "Happy in the Kitchen" that uses 1 part butter to 2 parts chix liver.

One of my favorite things to do with chicken liver is a variation on the bacon and onions thing: pancetta and sage leaves, with a little bit of a sweet wine pan sauce. I got fed this many years ago, and it's the dish that made me decide to become a cook.

Chicken liver is also great on crostini, either roughly mashed with cognac, cream and a little carmelized onion, or in the more traditional Italian version (Google "crostini di fegato" for recipes).

Sadistick, here's a reliable recipe for that pasta-sauce-that-includes-liver (a.k.a. ragu di fegato) you were looking for: http://www.saveur.com/article/Food/Ragu-En...-Chicken-Livers

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I know the Italians have a pasta sauce that includes chicken liver, but I have not been able to find it for the life of me, or at least, from a reputable source.

Those chicken livers have probably been all cooked up by now, but for next time...

This is the recipe I like to make for Tuscan Chicken Liver Sauce on pasta: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...jects/R/Recipes

Supposedly a favorite of Catherine de Medici, cibreo is about the only way I cook chicken livers anymore.

Saute a chopped onion (or leek) in a fair amount of butter and a pinch of sea salt until it's soft. Toss the livers (about a pound) with some flour in a bag until well-coated, then add to onions. Coarsely chop the livers with the edge of a spatula or paring knife as they cook (you can chop them first, then add a flour, but my approach is easier and not as messy as chopping raw liver). Cook the livers for about 10 minutes, them add a little water or broth. Keep chopping and smashing the liver so it becomes a coarse pate.

When the liver is done to your satisfaction (preferably still a bit pinkish), remove from the heat and stir in an egg yolk that you've beaten lightly with a tablespoon of lemon juice.

Serve with toast or crostini. I've also eaten this with pasta.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

There is a recipe called Fegato alla Veneziana....Supposed to be delicious....However, I don't have the recipe! I am sure you will find a million on the internet.

I am not the biggest liver fan so the only way I like it is on Crostini Toscani which is like a really loose pate` that you spread on toasted rounds of baguette or chopped liver Jewish style- with the hard boiled eggs, the onions and the schmaltz!

I had the livers from 6 pheasants last Sunday, I sauteed them in some olive oil, sage leaves, salt & pepper, and then coarsely chopped them. We did a risotto using some pheasant stock (chicken stock would do as well) and at the last minute stirred in the livers and some fresh sage chiffonade.

It made a great primo piatti, it was followed by pheasant roasted with garlic & red wine vinegar and accompanied by broccoli rabe.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn