• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kold Draft Ice Machines

Chapel Tavern

Hi guys,

First, great news for everyone in LA, we have a regional mgr there now, and he has started to build a fantastic install and service network. Also, we now have financing options in SoCal (as well as other parts of the US.)

Larger cubes: we're working on it. (Toby, we're working on an idea for ice to come out of our machine and ready for the Japanese sphere device.)

Audrey: It's a fantastic and challenging idea (hot-swap evaporators.)

Stacking: Kold-Draft is definitely stackable. Many locations have gone this route. This is a simple installation. This method costs slightly more upfront; however, having redundancy prevents the location from losing all of its ice production should a machine go down. (Ice machines never break though, right?)

One additional point: for the best ice quality and machine longevity (regardless of manufacturer), definitely clean the machine. I know that this is both obvious and annoying to do; however, even with a Kold-Draft that cleanses itself with each cycle, cleaning is critical. (We recommend 1-2 times per year.)

Kindest regards,

Joe Kaiser

Kold-Draft

1525 East Lake Rd

Erie, PA 16511

Office: (814) 453-6761

Fax: (814) 455-6336

Cell: (814) 602-9703

joe.kaiser@kold-draft.com

www.kold-draft.com

It's not Ice if it's not Kold

Hi guys,

First, great news for everyone in LA, we have a regional mgr there now, and he has started to build a fantastic install and service network.  Also, we now have financing options in SoCal (as well as other parts of the US.)

Larger cubes:  we're working on it.  (Toby, we're working on an idea for ice to come out of our machine and ready for the Japanese sphere device.)

Audrey:  It's a fantastic and challenging idea (hot-swap evaporators.)

Stacking:  Kold-Draft is definitely stackable.  Many locations have gone this route.  This is a simple installation.  This method costs slightly more upfront; however, having redundancy prevents the location from losing all of its ice production should a machine go down.  (Ice machines never break though, right?)

One additional point:  for the best ice quality and machine longevity (regardless of manufacturer), definitely clean the machine.  I know that this is both obvious and annoying to do; however, even with a Kold-Draft that cleanses itself with each cycle, cleaning is critical.  (We recommend 1-2 times per year.)

Kindest regards,

Which size sphere device? Larger then 55mm is now avalible, and a a 65mm sphere from machine ice would great.

Kold draft machines are stackable, according to the website.  The top unit can have an additional top unit added to it.  It should make twice as much ice of the same quality.  Does anyone have experience with this?

I have stackable units at Pegu; double 650 units. I love the cubes and have been working with them for over 10 years now, but the older model machines that I've had experience with could certainly be tempermental at times. I always felt so ashamed whenever the units went down and I had to resort to using the "replacement ice"---it dimishes the entire cocktail experience; so ghetto.

I look forward to going forward with a newer model. But even with that, I will still continue to work with stackables. They offer me a great deal more security-- during the times when one unit goes down, at least the other one is still kicking. Like having a basic insurance policy in place.

Audrey

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...