• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grits and Crockpot

Soup

Love grits but hate standing in front of the stove for 45 minutes to get great grits early in the morning (Don't like the instant kind as much).

Is there a way to cook grits over night may be using a slow cooker. I'm not looking for a cakey polenta as the end result but creamy grits.

Soup

• 2 weeks later...
Love grits but hate standing in front of the stove for 45 minutes to get great grits early in the morning (Don't like the instant kind as much). 

Is there a way to cook grits over night may be using a slow cooker.  I'm not looking for a cakey polenta as the end result but creamy grits. 

Soup

I have not done this in a while, but when I do the slow cooker does fine. I'll try it again soon. But let us know if you discover any tricks to making this work well.

A friend's blog recounts his adventures with grits in the slowcooker. 4 cups water to 1 cup of grits, plus salt, left cooking for 12 hours. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm cooking grits & grillades for a family reunion brunch after thanksgiving, and I plan to give it a whirl. Seems like the easiest way to cook a whole mess of grits with virtually NO effort.

Just last week this happened. I wanted grits but didn't want to cook the long way, so I read the directions to see if there was an answer (who knew directions were a good thing, lol). Turns out you can microwave standard grits in a matter of minutes. Just from memory, it was 3/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons grits. Add salt and butter -- then zap 2 or 3 minutes. They hit the spot.

Rhonda

p.s. that was for 1 serving

Edited to Add: Just read over your post and see that you cook your grits 45 minutes. You might be using a coarser grind. I used plain Quaker grits but they only take about 20 minutes cooking the long way.

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

HungryC -- haven't tried it, but I did a quick google search and the general consensus is that if you double (triple/etc) the recipe you have to adjust the time accordingly. So, if you're cooking grits for 5 -- that turns into 15 minutes in the microwave. Not much use in microwaving then since you can do them on the stove-top in 20 minutes. But when you need to cook something when you're alone -- microwaving them is a great option. I did it the other day and used that instead of rice for leftover steak and gravy.

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)