• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Krispies

Ekaterina

Dear fellow Egulleters!

I am making a cake in the shape of an opera house, and decided to carve the facade out of a huge Rice Krispie treat to attach it to the cake afterwards.

This is the first time I use Rice Krispies in cake decorating, because the client is on a budget - I normally carve the cake itself.

I wonder - should I "crumb-coat" the Rice Krispy facade element with buttercream before covering it in gum paste? I am looking for a smooth look on the gum paste, and am afraid that if I don't cover the Rice Krispies, the little bumps will show. On the other hand - maybe the buttercream is not the right choice... :hmmm:

I did "shave" the structure down with a knife to make it as smooth as possible.

I know some of you are expert cake decorators. Any tips?

Thanks so much!

Dear fellow Egulleters!

I am making a cake in the shape of an opera house, and decided to carve the facade out of a huge Rice Krispie treat to attach it to the cake afterwards.

This is the first time I use Rice Krispies in cake decorating, because the client is on a budget - I normally carve the cake itself.

I wonder - should I "crumb-coat" the Rice Krispy facade element with buttercream before covering it in gum paste?  I am looking for a smooth look on the gum paste, and am afraid that if I don't cover the Rice Krispies, the little bumps will show.  On the other hand - maybe the buttercream is not the right choice...  :hmmm:

I did "shave" the structure down with a knife to make it as smooth as possible. 

I know some of you are expert cake decorators.  Any tips?

Thanks so much!

Maybe a thin layer of chocolate to even out the surface?

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith