• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally getting out to David Drake

foodcyclist

So, I'm finally getting out to David Drake's at the end of the month and was curious as to any current opinions. My friends all have great things to say about DD as well as previous posts here at EGullet. I'd appreciate any new feedback. Pictures would be a real plus.

Also, of the 4 in our party, 2 are interested in the tasting menu while 2 are for the 3 course. Will there be an issue with 2 for tasting and 2 for prix fixe?

Thanks

If you've seen this thread then you've seen lots of pictures! Also, the last time I went for dinner I had the tasting menu and my dining companion did not, and it worked out well.

And everything was delicious, as always. I hope you have a wonderful experience and please do post after you go. And if you take pics? All the better :smile:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

If you've seen this thread then you've seen lots of pictures!  Also, the last time I went for dinner I had the tasting menu and my dining companion did not, and it worked out well. 

And everything was delicious, as always.    I hope you have a wonderful experience and please do post after you go.  And if you take pics? All the better   :smile:

Actually, I'm going down to DD because of word of mouth from my other foodie friends but your incredible food shots were a large influence as well. I'd like to do the same but thought it would be a turn off to our guests and those around our table. But yes, I plan on it.

Thanks.

btw- How often do they change their menu? The sample tasting menu on their website is perfect for me but the a la carte choices don't wow my wife...q

Edited by foodcyclist (log)

btw-  How often do they change their menu?  The sample tasting menu on their website is perfect for me but the a la carte choices don't wow my wife...q

I know they change it at least seasonally. In the past I've found that the items on the online menu didn't match 100% to what was offered in the restaurant. However, this last visit - it did. I was glad of it, since I like to decide in advance what I want and if I get there and they don't have it, I am disappointed.

Does your wife like anything on the lunch menu that isn't on the dinner menu? Or something on the tasting menu? I don't know for sure, but I bet they can make any of those for dinner. I was there once for lunch and they didn't have the duck egg on the lunch menu, but they were able to make it for me.

I can't wait to hear how you and your guests enjoy your meals.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

We actually had a pretty bad lunch when I was there last. Food was ok, but I was served yesterdays wine by the glass (a 25$ glass) with about 2 dozen fruit flies in it because all of the bottles were open on the fireplace mantle...I'm guessing all night. When I told the waiter, he didn't apologize, asked if I wanted another, I said sure if you are going to open a new bottle....almost annoyed he did. The rest of the meal, I had to swat fruit flies away (we were sitting by the mantle/fireplace in the corner where all the wine were left opened)

I didn't cause a fuss, but figured at least a glass of wine would be comped...not a chance.

I wish I could comment more on the food, but I was so annoyed, the food was not every memorable. I believe I had the short rib risotto and my fiance the skate.

I actually felt like they were just trying to pawn off the opened wine on us. We look (and are somewhat) young, and when asked some wine suggestions, I felt like they marked us for an easy pawn off of what was opened. (it was a weekday, non crowded lunch) The second glass that was recommended for my entree was pretty much undrinkable...I didn't want to be 'that pain in the ass guy' that complains so I just chalked it up as a bad experience.

This was in late july.

We've been meaning to give it another try...as it was our first, and we figure everyone has a bad day, and based on all the other good reviews.

We actually had a pretty bad lunch when I was there last. Food was ok, but I was served yesterdays wine by the glass (a 25$ glass) with about 2 dozen fruit flies in it because all of the bottles were open on the fireplace mantle...I'm guessing all night. When I told the waiter, he didn't apologize, asked if I wanted another, I said sure if you are going to open a new bottle....almost annoyed he did. The rest of the meal, I had to swat fruit flies away (we were sitting by the mantle/fireplace in the corner where all the wine were left opened)

I didn't cause a fuss, but figured at least a glass of wine would be comped...not a chance.

I wish I could comment more on the food, but I was so annoyed, the food was not every memorable. I believe I had the short rib risotto and my fiance the skate.

I actually felt like they were just trying to pawn off the opened wine on us. We look (and are somewhat) young, and when asked some wine suggestions, I felt like they marked us for an easy pawn off of what was opened. (it was a weekday, non crowded lunch) The second glass that was recommended for my entree was pretty much undrinkable...I didn't want to be 'that pain in the ass guy' that complains so I just chalked it up as a bad experience.

This was in late july.

We've been meaning to give it another try...as it was our first, and we figure everyone has a bad day, and based on all the other good reviews.

I'm sorry you're experience was less than steller. I'll report back my experience at Dd.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back home last night around 11 pm after a wonderful experience at David Drake. I say experience instead of meal because although the focus was on the food, I came away with a feeling that I normally only have after an evening of food AND entertainment. We opted for the 5 course tasting with wine pairings which is listed accurately on their website. No surprises. Just incredible presentation and execution. The service was the best I've experienced. The only drawback was perhaps the wine pairings. I understand the choices can be very subjective but I was rather disappointed with their choice of Reisling and the Pinot Noir, although they paired my beef course perfectly with an incredible Cabernet.

Overall, an excellent restaurant and an even better dining experience. It can be 'holy cow' expensive but there's some great value there if you're in the mood for 3 hours of David Drake.

No pics, sorry

Edited by foodcyclist (log)

Glad, glad GLAD you enjoyed! I always do. No pics but...can't you tell us what you chose from the tasting menu?

I like to live vicariously :smile:

Edited by Randi (log)

Glad, glad GLAD you enjoyed!  I always do.  No pics but...can't you tell us what you chose from the tasting menu?

I like to live vicariously  :smile:

I have no regrets from my choices but I do feel a bit curious as my dining companions really enjoyed some of the courses I didn't choose. Anyway....

#1 Fluke sashimi. Delicate fish course with a savory yet sweet sauce to accompany. unreal. matched with an overly sweet reisling. Too bad but the dish put such a smile on my face. I swear they sprinkled the fish with fesh nutmeg but I could be wrong here...

#2 crispy potato gnocchi. Better than I prepare at home.. and I make some serious gnocchi. Although I loved the woodsy mushroom pairing, the sauce was a bit too watery for gnocchi, IMHO. Delicious otherwise

#3 seared sea scallop with pork belly. I ordered this after reading (and viewing) the report from Randi and was not disappointed. This was by far my favorite course as the scallop was perfectly prepared and the pork belly added sooo much to the flavor of the dish I wondered why I hadn't included it in any of my scallop recipies...doh! Awesome stuff!

#4 Angus Sirloin. They goofed and served me the entree' portion so I had plenty of beef to deal with here. Luckily, it was served rare as requested and matched with perhaps the best Cabernet I've ever experienced with food. Bravo. I'm getting pretty full here but always ready for more

A little intermezzo of orange juice with some zest thrown in for flavor. Yummy as I believe they torched some orange zest and steeped it in with some orange or orange/ lemonade. A nice refresher after so many different tastes.

#5 Artisinal cheese. My second favorite course as the Sauterne that was matched with my selection fit so well. Great range of flavors and textures. All the best points of a cheese course covered well here. I would have appreciated a bit more fruit to accompany the appricot preserves.. perhaps some fresh granny smith apples or some cranberry compote.. delicious in any event.

Like I've mentioned in my previous post, the service was without question the best I've ever experienced in all my dining endevours. I've experienced some pretty crappy service at 4 star restaurants and great service at local taverns. David Drake is now my benchmark for service going forward. I will be going back. I highly recommend David Drake to anyone looking for an incredible dining experience without the trip to NYC.

Thanks