• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Predictions for January 2009

Few Bib's lost in Manchester, not good news.

Indeed - and I'm surprised (and disappointed) to see "Jem & I" on that list.

LIkewise.

Glad to see I was right with the LAtymer and Burlington. Pleased for the latter. No Hipping Hall, probably tried too hard!

And The Bruce Arms with a Bib. A classic 'doing great food for decades' place, well rewarded.

Good for Becasse in Ludlow as well. The town's rep is saved somewhat

Ducasse rising three? Hated the place and, for once, was not alone given the kicking it got.

Wonderful for Fraiche, and, yes, Thom when are you going to organize a meal there?

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Bloody hell, what's going on with Manchester? Down a star and two bibs.

I'm guessing the loss of bibs is down to price increases? (I've not eaten at either place for years now, so quality could be an issue too)

Juniper. Well that was sort of expected from the reviews by Egulleteers.

(Which are far more trustworthy than the local papers/websites "don't piss off a potential advertiser" spiel. Anyone seen Sugarvine lately? If you enjoyed your meal at ........... Restaurant click here to write a restaurant recommendation. )

It's the lack of bibs that really worries me though, like there is no one striving to do better. (edit; OR even worse, is overcharging for the quality on offer) :blink:

Edited by Infrasonic (log)

Congratulations to all who are recognised - great to see the reactions.

Nice to see Casamia in Bristol get a star - it has had a few recommendations on the board and I have been meaning to go - I now need to get my act together.

Does anyone have any insight into Whatley Manor - its now my "best" local restaurant but Matthew Fort's comments in WOM don't inspire confidence especially with the ALC at £65 and the tasting menu at £80.

Also does anyone know what the cut off date is for the guide? I was intrigued that Hibiscus made it last year as a one star after opening in late October (the 25th?) whilst Corrigans is not is this years guide after opening on the 6th November (but with Lindsay House still listed), and Bath Priory retaining its star although Chris Horridges departure was public in late October (Kitchen Rat 20th Oct).

It's the lack of bibs that really worries me though, like there is no one striving to do better. (edit; OR even worse, is overcharging for the quality on offer)  :blink:

Not sure its about 'over' charging. Just that costs have increased substantially in the last year.

Course, why they should have increased in MAnchester and not elsewhere is interesting.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

It's the lack of bibs that really worries me though, like there is no one striving to do better. (edit; OR even worse, is overcharging for the quality on offer)  :blink:

Course, why they should have increased in MAnchester and not elsewhere is interesting.

Quite. Personally I think there's too much fur coat no knickers going on.

I remember having a great whole Plaice at St John two years ago...£14!

(Alright ,two years ago, but at the time I was amazed)

Really pleased for Marc. Fraiche was the most exciting meal in the North of England that I've ever had and I can't wait to go back.

La Becasse is richly deserved and it's a great achievement for Will Holland there and good to see Ludlow back to having 2 starred restaurants (even if Bapi hates one of them!)

On the Jem and I front, I've always loved the place and think the food's great. However, my last meal cost me the best part of £100, which isn't really within the reasonable price bracket in my opinion. The prices there rival the Lime Tree round the corner.

And yet to hear anything good about the new Juniper from people who paid for their meal. Therefore, no surprise at all.

Adam

Personally I think there's too much fur coat no knickers going on.

Er ... is this actually possible? This particular combinations isn't something I would complain about, were it to - er - present itself to me, as it were.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

In the Italian department, I was very pleased to see Semplice get its star: I have been many times there (here's one impression) and can confirm it is top notch Italian cuisine. I was disappointed by the absence of Latium, which I consider at least as good as Semplice. And I was never impressed by Hartnett in her previous incarnation, so I guess I'd consider Murano a ripoff, but will try it.

In our visit to Chapter One we made the easy prediction of a star: the cuisine had everything going for it. Similarly, L'Autre Pied was our other easy prediction. In the negative, we also got the demotion of One Lombard Street right: how pretentious and insubstantial.

Also does anyone know what the cut off date is for the guide? I was intrigued that Hibiscus made it last year as a one star after opening in late October (the 25th?) whilst Corrigans is not is this years guide after opening on the 6th November (but with Lindsay House still listed), and Bath Priory retaining its star although Chris Horridges departure was public in late October (Kitchen Rat 20th Oct).

And am I to assume that the late opening/conversion of Marcus Wareing accounts for his absence from the board?

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I just don't understand the enthusiasm for l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon.  Granted, I've only been to the one in New York (twice), and I think it's barely justifying its one star status there. 

But then, New York is a whole different beast.

both the Paris and London incarnations are truly excellent.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

And am I to assume that the late opening/conversion of Marcus Wareing accounts for his absence from the board?

I think he opened in September, and got two stars, so clearly got in before the cut off.

I think he opened in September, and got two stars, so clearly got in before the cut off.

Oh, I hadn't realized he received two stars. I haven't actually look at the starred restaurant list, only the list of new stars reproduced above. Since Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley is technically a new restaurant for 2009, I figured it would be listed as a new awardee. My bad.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I echo the congrats to Marc, a fantastic achievement for you and the team!

Juniper's demotion was a given I think due to the relatively recent takeover, but Michael Riemenschnider must be a bit gutted to lose a star at The Abbey too. A double-blow.

Was it Palmiro and Jem&I that lost Bib's in Manchester? I'm a little hazy as to the exact criteria for a bib (a wooly "good food at reasonable prices" or some-such?) but I think Palmiro has been off the culinary boil for some time (they've lost some crucial personel over the years) and as noted Jem&I is great but is fairly priced but not keenly priced (my last rushed two course dinner there hit £70+).

That said when I look at places that have won Bibs around the country I can't help but feel that there are a decent number of places in Manchester, city and suburbs, which should be picking up Bibs (what about that place "The Modern" which I hear so much about...). People may complain about the sometimes illogical and contrary awarding of stars but the distribution of Bibs seems even more patchy and arbitary.

Cheers

Thom

ETA: And yes, I'll pull my finger out and sort that Fraiche lunch in the next few weeks. Does anyone need anything else doing? Maybe drycleaning picking up? A present buying for the wife? Or mistress? Honestly...

Edited by thom (log)

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

For the michelin uninitiated, what does it mean to be a rising 2 or 3 star?

It's supposed to mean that they are at the top of their current star status and are in serious contention of achieving the next level. However, this isn't necessarily indicative of whether that restaurant will actually be promoted. Le Bristol (a 2-star in Paris) has been a rising 3-star for a few years now, if I'm not mistaken.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

All this 'rising star' stuff is a load of bollocks. It doesn't mean a thing. Just ask Marc at fraiche, how long did they dangle him for? For what its worth I still don't think Michelin as gone far enough in handing out stars. I cannot believe the Plummed Horse has a star. Im gobsmacked. Still no second star for Martin Wishart, its a piss take.