• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Predictions for January 2009

I just don't understand the enthusiasm for l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. Granted, I've only been to the one in New York (twice), and I think it's barely justifying its one star status there.

But then, New York is a whole different beast.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Congrats Marc, did you not know?

no i didnt know to be honest i thought it wouldnt happen here

Congratulations!

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Well done Marc!!!! I was planning to come and see you next friday, but work decided to change my day off to Thurs instead, bastards. Wish you all the best for 2009. Glad to see Purnells get one too. Any news on the Bibs??

Sorry, I was being lazy.

Here we go...

ADDITIONS:

England

Brighton & Hove - The Meadow

Bristol Greens' - Dining Room

Cheltenham - Royal Well Tavern

Droxford - The Bakers Arms

Henfield - The Ginger Fox

Kingham - The Kingham Plough

Stockbridge / Longstock - The Peat Spade Inn

Stow-on-the-Wold - The Cafe at Daylesford Organic

West Tanfield - The Bruce Arms

Yarpole - The Bell Inn

London

Camden - Bradley's

Camden - Giaconda Dining Room

Camden - Market

Croydon - Le Cassoulet

Islington - Medcalf

Islington - The Modern Pantry

Chelsea - Foxtrot Oscar

Richmond-upon-Thames - Mango and Silk

Bayswater & Maida Vale - Hereford Road

Soho - Dehesa

SCOTLAND

Edinburgh - The Dogs

DELETIONS:

England

Brighton - The Real Eating Company

Castle Cary/South Cadbury - The Camelot

Chipping Campden/Paxford - Churchill Arms

Jersey/Green Island - Green Island

Kenilworth - Simply Simpsons

Leeds - Brasserie 44

Manchester - Palmiro

Manchester/Didsbury - Café Jem&I

Preston - Inside Out

Royal Tunbridge Wells/Speldhurst - George and Dragon

Saxmundham - The Bell

Sowerby Bridge - The Millbank

Witney/Leafield - The Navy Oak

Scotland

Strathyre - Creagan House

London

Hammersmith - Agni

St James’s - Brasserie Roux

Battersea - Butcher and Grill

Bayswater and Maida Vale - Trenta

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

There are certainly quite a few of us trying to raise anyone at Michelin's PR company.

"there's a gonna be a lynchin' Boy"

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

There are certainly quite a few of us trying to raise anyone at Michelin's PR company.

"there's a gonna be a lynchin' Boy"

i'm suprised you care tim, given your recent post on word of mouth, haven't you got anything better to do than hang out on 'irritatingly pointless' threads?

'If you spend much time hanging around on the food boards it can't have escaped your notice that the new Great Britain and Ireland Michelin Guide comes out next week. This is not because of any great publicity effort on the part of the company itself, more because of the intense buzz of amateur speculation.

As you'd expect, chefs are interested in Michelin's judgements - it's the way the industry judges itself - but they're way too busy to post. Otherwise the kind of people who speculate most ferociously about the stars are an odd bunch - culinary otaku with the money to spend 'collecting' starred restaurants who've extrapolated an ability-to-afford into a notion of connoisseurship.

Reading their postings is like listening to that talk radio station that always seems to be playing when I get in a cab, usually on the subject of football or immigration: intense, opinionated debate of events over which the participants can have no possible influence and, to any audience, irritatingly pointless.'

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Ah, but a leak is news.

Ah, but it's an event over which the bystanders can have no possible influence and chasing its source seems irritatingly pointless.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Wel done Marc truly deserved!!

I knew Juniper would lose its star :smile:

Also well done to The White Bull in Ribchester in keeping its Bib, again truly deserved.

Well done to everyone else who has done well.

Few Bib's lost in Manchester, not good news. Also the Millbank, whats happened there Bapi?

Why has St John got a star this year and not in previous years, when I have heard nothing but luke warm reviews this year about it.?

And is there going to be another lame self serving article on the OFB about losers like us, discussing the Michelin results or congratulating those that have achieved????

I am not sure what happened at the Millbank Robin. :sad: The food is still up to scratch and well worthy of a Bib. Even tubby Marshall enjoyed his meal there late last year. Not looking forward to telling them when I venture up there in a couple of hours.

On a happier note- congratulations to Marc- about time too.(Thom please pull your finger out and get that lunch at Fraiche organsied). Matt- again, well done mate well deserved. :smile: Delighted for Hibiscus too. Not so for Anthonys -why on earth they keep missing out is beyond me.

Matt- you mentioned The Neptune getting a star. Is that the one in Old Hunstanton in Norfolk?

Edit- Ignore the question Matt. I have just checked and it is. Crikey-who knew.?We go to that coast three or four times a year and I have driven past it umpteen times :unsure: I will have to stop next time.

Edited by Bapi (log)