• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Predictions for January 2009

And for Ireland I'm guessing...

No change whatsoever!

It just might be the year that Neven Maguire lands a star for MacNean Restaurant... great chef, the place has had a serious refurb and the wine list is much improved.

Things were a bit shaky for Oliver Dunne in Bon Appetit during his first year with a star. Hopefully they've improved and his star is safe.

No change whatsoever!

It just might be the year that Neven Maguire lands a star for MacNean Restaurant... great chef, the place has had a serious refurb and the wine list is much improved.

Things were a bit shaky for Oliver Dunne in Bon Appetit during his first year with a star. Hopefully they've improved and his star is safe.

I couldn't agree more Corinna. I think this is Nevin's year-they certainly appear to have gone all out for it.

I also agree about Bon Appetit. It's had very mixed press throughout 2008. They were definitely finding their feet when I ate there.

My feelings;

2* for Hibiscus

1* for La Becasse

1* for The Walnut Tree

And if there is justice in the world, stars for both Anthony's and Fraiche. Marcus Wareing, was in my opinion, truly world class, but I can't see them giving him 3* yet. But, on the basis of my meal (and probably the only one I can ever afford to have there) he is capable of it. They just lack a maitre'd of the calibre of the food coming out of the kitchen.

I can't disagree enough with the idea of LCS losing a star. There's no way it's a 3* place in terms of the dining room or the service, but David's food is the most interesting and exciting being produced by a British chef at the current time. It's worlds ahead of most of the 1* places in the UK and is a very solid 2* restaurant. I'm there tomorrow night so will report back.

Adam

No change whatsoever!

I couldn't agree more Corinna. I think this is Nevin's year-they certainly appear to have gone all out for it.

I also agree about Bon Appetit. It's had very mixed press throughout 2008. They were definitely finding their feet when I ate there.

How could I forget Alexis Bar & Grill???????

Patrick, I think you're looking good for a Bib Gourmand

Usual suspects, BLAH BLAH BLAH

Here we go:

L'enclume 2*

Bells Diner 1*

Vineyard 1 *

Hambrough 1*

Antonys Finaly 1 *

Ducasse 2* ( bold guess i know )

And also the little chef on the A65 Nr Kirby Lonsdale

Does anyone know the date ??

I heard the 20th

Also isnt there normally a half yearly reveiw of the AA

Right goin now im ramblin again

:hmmm:

And on the same basis, the Latymer now that Wignall's been ensconced for a while. Not that I've seen a single mention of it on here.

And outside (deserved) bet for the Devonshire Arms to get theirs' back. Been a couple of times since Steve Smith took over. THe food is considerably less fancy than it was under WIgnall, but IMHO, all the better for that (more country-hotel). Service is much improved, though still not top-notch. Smith has a great pedigree (GUellers, HOlbeck GHyll, Seaham Hall). Worth checking out should you have a spare £300 or so.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Funny that Bertie I have just returned from a weekend at Devonshire, unfortunately had not booked restaurant so had to do with the Brasserie ( which was poor). If the service in the restaurant is on a level with the service in the hotel, they have a long way to go, particularly when a service charge of 12.5 is added to absolutely everything!

And on the same basis, the Latymer now that Wignall's been ensconced for a while. Not that I've seen a single mention of it on here.

And outside (deserved) bet for the Devonshire Arms to get theirs' back. Been a couple of times since Steve Smith took over. THe food is considerably less fancy than it was under WIgnall, but IMHO, all the better for that (more country-hotel). Service is much improved, though still not top-notch. Smith has a great pedigree (GUellers, HOlbeck GHyll, Seaham Hall). Worth checking out should you have a spare £300 or so.

oddly i was having a chat about the dev on friday night and i had no idea that wignall's food was that modern, i thought he was classic french but apparently not.

you don't win friends with salad

How could I forget Alexis Bar & Grill???????

Patrick, I think you're looking good for a Bib Gourmand

We'd be delighted to get a Bib Corinna. We're ticking over quite nicely at the moment but it would certainly give everyone a boost to have some positive news to report.

I can't presume to know much, if anything, about the London dining scene. But, based on my recent visits, I'd say:

RGR at RHR deserves a demotion, though it probably will not get one.

Hibiscus will probably get a second star, from all of the momentum and speed it's been gathering in the press and among fans. But, I for one, had a less than stellar experience, which, I'll admit, was probably an exception.

I'll echo Food Snob upthread and throw out l'Ambassade de l'Ile for star contention.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Hibiscus will probably get a second star, from all of the momentum and speed it's been gathering in the press and among fans.  But, I for one, had a less than stellar experience, which, I'll admit, was probably an exception. 

Your are the third one on this thread to comment on a less than impressive experience at Hibiscus...a pattern?

Hibiscus will probably get a second star, from all of the momentum and speed it's been gathering in the press and among fans.  But, I for one, had a less than stellar experience, which, I'll admit, was probably an exception. 

Your are the third one on this thread to comment on a less than impressive experience at Hibiscus...a pattern?

I noticed that. It was, by far, the least pleasant dining experience I had on my entire 14-day trip. Not all of the unpleasantries, however, were due to the food. In fact, some of the food was quite good. I'll elaborate further on the appropriate thread.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

When is the big day?

I just did a search and I can't see a date yet for this year. Last year it looks like they announced the changes on about 23rd/24th January (see here).

Another search this evening turned up a report on caterersearch (here) which suggests that the new guide will be announced on Wednesday next week (21st January).

Possibly. And I would be saddened to learn if that was the case. Our meal there was at the beginning of 2008 so things may have changed more recently - but it was a faultless experience and, by a country mile, our best meal of the year (knocking spots off board favourite Juniper in Paul Kitching's closing weeks).

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

Interesting predictions from Kitchen Rat.

A new one on me was Danesfield House in Marlow - anyone been?

I went to Dansfield house a few months back. Nice big old country manor, although the building sure was draughty in the November chill. This wasn't helped by the fact that pretty much all courses came with a sorbet or ice cream. Some of which were fun (Lager & Lime sorbet as an amuse bouche), others were pointless (Scallops with a Cauliflower ice cream?). The non-frozen food was good, but I wouldn't say Michelin starred.

They also have that annoying practice of showing you a huge selection of chocolates for petit fours, and then ask you to select some, not giving any indication as to how many one should take without appearing like a glutton. Does anyone know what the magic number is?!?

Lee

Interesting predictions from Kitchen Rat.

A new one on me was Danesfield House in Marlow - anyone been?

I went to Dansfield house a few months back. Nice big old country manor, although the building sure was draughty in the November chill. This wasn't helped by the fact that pretty much all courses came with a sorbet or ice cream. Some of which were fun (Lager & Lime sorbet as an amuse bouche), others were pointless (Scallops with a Cauliflower ice cream?). The non-frozen food was good, but I wouldn't say Michelin starred.

They also have that annoying practice of showing you a huge selection of chocolates for petit fours, and then ask you to select some, not giving any indication as to how many one should take without appearing like a glutton. Does anyone know what the magic number is?!?

Lee

At Marcus Waring, I believe they had about 5/6 flavours of truffle. I asked for a couple of each. But was 'limited' to one of each.

Ruined my whole meal.

:P

At Ducasse, they let me have as much of whatever I wanted.

Edited by Food Snob (log)

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk