• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Takazawa comes to France!

Cabernet

For those eGullet members who might be travelling through France and Spain this winter, I detail a unique dining opportunity that might be of special interest, I must stress that I am not commercially involved with the restaurant concerned l'Auberge Basque' and merely wish to share news of the marvellous opportunity with fellow food lovers.

From the Nose Blog of A Good Nose.Com:

The world's most enigmatic chef will be visiting Europe during late November and early December this year. Yoshiaki Takazawa is a culinary phenomenon: his cult Tokyo restaurant Aronia de Takazawa has only two tables, and three to six month advance booking is de rigeur... his food is original, intelligent and offers a unique vision of culinary creativity - he is an inspiring, exciting and dynamic Japanese chef.

A Unique Dining Opportunity

After making a presentation at the renowned LMG Chef Congress in San Sebastian, northern Spain (from 24th - 27th November), Yoshi and his charming wife Akiko, will remain in the Basque country, crossing the frontier from Spain into France and for just four days he will appear as celebrity guest chef in Cédric Béchade's temple like kitchens at l'Auberge Basque, near St Jean de Luz. For European food lovers and gourmets, this is wonderful news. Rather than flying all the way to Tokyo, it will be possible to enjoy a splendid set lunch or dinner prepared jointly by Yoshi Takazawa and Cédric Béchade in the South-West of France.

Dates for 'Yoshi Takazawa at l'Auberge Basque' are: 4th, 5th 6th and 7th December 2008 - at the democratic price of €85.00 plus wine, advance booking will be essential!

David Eley

Weblinks:

www.agoodnose.com

www.aubergebasque.com

www.aroniadetakazawa.com

Wow, sounds great . Is that a commercial?

For those eGullet members who might be travelling through France and Spain this winter, I detail a unique dining opportunity that might be of special interest, I must stress that I am not commercially involved with the restaurant concerned l'Auberge Basque' and merely wish to share news of the marvellous opportunity with fellow food lovers.

From the Nose Blog of A Good Nose.Com:

The world's most enigmatic chef will be visiting Europe during late November and early December this year. Yoshiaki Takazawa is a culinary phenomenon: his cult Tokyo restaurant Aronia de Takazawa has only two tables, and three to six month advance booking is de rigeur... his food is original, intelligent and offers a unique vision of culinary creativity - he is an inspiring, exciting and dynamic Japanese chef.

A Unique Dining Opportunity

After making a presentation at the renowned LMG Chef Congress in San Sebastian, northern Spain (from 24th - 27th November), Yoshi and his charming wife Akiko, will remain in the Basque country, crossing the frontier from Spain into France and for just four days he will appear as celebrity guest chef in Cédric Béchade's temple like kitchens at l'Auberge Basque, near St Jean de Luz. For European food lovers and gourmets, this is wonderful news. Rather than flying all the way to Tokyo, it will be possible to enjoy a splendid set lunch or dinner prepared jointly by Yoshi Takazawa and Cédric Béchade in the South-West of France.

Dates for 'Yoshi Takazawa at l'Auberge Basque' are: 4th, 5th 6th and 7th December 2008 - at the democratic price of €85.00 plus wine, advance booking will be essential!

David Eley

Weblinks:

www.agoodnose.com

www.aubergebasque.com

www.aroniadetakazawa.com

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Only for great food and original thought!!

As a matter of fact your description is not quite enough for me to get a clear notion of how unique this chef is. Being booked three to six months in advance for a restaurant has only two tables, especially in a gourmet city like Tokyo, hardly makes it a 'phenomenon'. At that rate, it would take years to get a reservation at Daniel Rose's Spring, which seats 16.

Maybe you could give us a more informative description than "his food is original, intelligent and offers a unique vision of culinary creativity - he is an inspiring, exciting and dynamic Japanese chef"? As far as advertising is concerned, only half of the job has been done.

Only for great food and original thought!!

As a matter of fact your description is not quite enough for me to get a clear notion of how unique this chef is. Being booked three to six months in advance for a restaurant has only two tables, especially in a gourmet city like Tokyo, hardly makes it a 'phenomenon'. At that rate, it would take years to get a reservation at Daniel Rose's Spring, which seats 16.

Maybe you could give us a more informative description than "his food is original, intelligent and offers a unique vision of culinary creativity - he is an inspiring, exciting and dynamic Japanese chef"? As far as advertising is concerned, only half of the job has been done.

Actually, Pti, I wonder if we don't have a funny reverse cultural exchange issue here. By this I mean, Japanese chefs, like Yoshiaki Takazawa at l'Auberge Basque, Eiichi Edakuni of Guilo Guilo and our very own Enishi in the nabe are going counter-current to Robuchon & Ducasse to the East.

Interchange, fusion, sounds good to me, non?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I think €85.00 is a very very good price if the meal at l'Auberge Basque is comparable in size and quality to what Takazawa prepares at Aronia. His sets are priced at Y16 000, Y20 000, and Y24 000 at his restaurant (roughly €128, €160, €193). An acquaintance who has eaten at Aronia several times (and has dined at other starred restaurants around the world) has stated the food is most definitely Michelin 3-star quality. I've tried to get a table at Aronia, but they do not accept reservations for parties of one.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, looking at the gallery on his website http://www.aroniadetakazawa.com/creation/gallery/index.html would give you more of an understanding of the type of food he creates. (the website is almost entirely in Japanese, though there used to be some English, so it may pop up again)

Actually, Pti, I wonder if we don't have a funny reverse cultural exchange issue here.  By this I mean, Japanese chefs, like Yoshiaki Takazawa at l'Auberge Basque, Eiichi Edakuni of Guilo Guilo and our very own Enishi in the nabe are going counter-current to Robuchon & Ducasse to the East.

Interchange, fusion, sounds good to me, non?

Oh, without doubt. Fernand Point the other way round, pre-nouvelle-cuisine inspiration changing direction this time, I agree. (Actually, seriously, no - cultural/cuisine exchanges have been going on for quite a while now.) But my (unFernand) point was that if our friend is doing advertising for this event and L'Auberge Basque on this board, he should at least do a good job of it and provide clearer information right here.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

No ax to grind in any way, but in the spirit of helpfulness here's a link. to a review of the restaurant.

Sounds very Fat Duck like and seems as if there are now three amazing culinary experimenters (I'm including Adria of course) out there. Great fun and I think we'll all eventually benefit from their adventures as the techniques trickle down through the culinary world.

Not for me I must say in terms of partaking, but I enjoy reading about them and seeing them on TV when possible.

Its tempting to try to get a reservation and head for the coast, but I'll wait for an intrepid eGulleteer to fill us all in after the event.

Wonder how he'll cope with serving more than two tables? Or will there be a limit of X covers per evening.

Not sure how to avoid sounding like a PR for Auberge - sharing information on a great chef from Tokyo who is uniquely working in the Pays Basque for a week, is definetely worth mentioning methinks.

As for not providing sufficient info - I plead guilty, however, you have only to reread my post and you will join up the dots quite easily! The Aronia de Takaza website does indeed show Yoshi's creations and he is definitely not a molecular gastronomist!! Simply look into Kyoto dining for example - see Peter Gordon's recent piece in last week's FT.

If this wonderful opportunity is available on our European doorsteps (i.e. Biarritz airport is but a short Ryanair/Easyjet flight away from the UK for example), surely it merits mentioning without the suggestion of 'advertising'?

I hope the eGullet members will try the great Takazawa cuisine and make their own minds up!

´(...)

I hope the eGullet members will try the great Takazawa cuisine and make their own minds up!

I've got a table... hope the dinner worth the 500 miles driving... :wink:

Once in the region, I would like to go to another restaurant ( in France ). I already know all the good restaurants, in spanish Basque Country .

I'm thinking in Cordeillan Bages. Any other sugestions ?

Thanks in advance

Paulo Rodrigues

Edited by PauloR (log)