• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutting Board Sanitizer/Sanitizing Cutting Boards

paulraphael

5 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I sanitize with water just off the boiling point.

Can't imagine anything that's as simple.

Well, you gotta heat the water. I can maybe see it for plastic cutting boards, but I don't want to dunk wood ones water that hot. And it's not so practical for sanitizing fixed surfaces. 

Notes from the underbelly

58 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I can maybe see it for plastic cutting boards, but I don't want to dunk wood ones water that hot. And it's not so practical for sanitizing fixed surfaces. 

That's what I'm talking about, poly cutting boards.

I'm a woodworker, I'd never sanitize a wood cutting board with ultra hot water. Although it probably wouldn't harm a thick quarter-sawn cutting board, but, really good quarter-sawn cutting boards are hard (almost impossible) to find. Unless you make your own.

True quarter-sawn (riftsawn), not the pseudo stuff.

Other surfaces?

I'm talking poly cutting boards.

The sanitizing of other stuff demands new threads.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

42 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Well, you gotta heat the water.

Yeah, not a big concern in my case.

I received my March electric and gas bill today—thank you NYSEG! 9_9

The furnace runs on gas, the kitchen range runs on gas, and our water is heated by gas.

Total March electric and gas bill, $66.83

14ipqv5.png

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Potentially related to some of the post about, about what (and where from) pathogens we ought to really worry about:

E. Coli Linked to Chopped Romaine Lettuce Infects People in 11 States  (NY Times, April 11, 2018)

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 3 months later...