• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Pie!

hollywood

Last night I was surfing and chanced on part of "Ed." The doctor character was eating at the Stuckeybowl but couldn't be interrupted for conversation because he had "found Nirvana." He was eating a whole deep fried pie. Not one of those little pocket things from a vending machine or a fast food franchise but an entire pie. There was footage of an entire pie being lowered into a deep fat fryer. Does this happen? Any good? Didn't watch the rest of the episode so I don't know if the show had answers or not.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Sounds like it's either really tasty or really vile.

I once heard about a place known for their pie milkshakes. Apparently they put a whole slice of homemade pie into the metal cup along with the ice cream and milk before popping it onto the spindle for whirling. This was a secondhand tale and I think referred to a place in Iowa. Fun with (sweet) pie!

A staple of Scottish fish and chip shops is the macaroni pie. A pie shell, filled with macaroni and cheese and deep fried. Eaten with chips. Mmmm.

Scotland has the lowest life expectancy in Western Europe.

We even have deep fried pizza here in Edinburgh. Today the University cafe was offering macaroni and cheese with chips. In this case, yes, Carbs do equal death. Especially when you combine them with fat and them fry them and sprinkle to whole lot with cheese.

I like Scotland, in Australia I am of average height, but over here I am taller then most. Especially in Aberdeen.

I like Scotland, in Australia I am of average height, but over here I am taller then most. Especially in Aberdeen.

Feeling superior in Aberdeen is not hard. The disadvantage is that you actually have to be in Aberdeen.

Don't let the wife know I said that.

It sounds to me like Scotland would be a good place to go eat when one wakes up with a raging hangover, and I mean that as a compliment.

Ron - weirdly all the food here seems to be ment to be eaten while drinking or with a hangover. Best hangover cure to date: Vodka and Irn Bru (revoltingly sweet Scottish soft drink/soda) and black pudding and egg butty.

A scottish friend told me the correct way to eat a Scotch pie: Make hole in lid, tilt to pour off fat, replace drained fat with sauce (brown) eat before it cools/sets.

Sounds like it's either really tasty or really vile.

I once heard about a place known for their pie milkshakes. Apparently they put a whole slice of homemade pie into the metal cup along with the ice cream and milk before popping it onto the spindle for whirling. This was a secondhand tale and I think referred to a place in Iowa. Fun with (sweet) pie!

That's how they eat pie down south. They put a whole pie on the table and give you a bowl. Serve up a quarter of it in a bowl , pour heavy cream over the top, and mash it all up.

DEEP FRIED PIES RULE THE ROOST, I AM DROOLING FOR THE DAY WHEN I CAN AFFORD TO BUY A FRYER DEDICATED TO DESSERTS MMMMMM FOR NOW I MUST GO TO THE COMPETITION (POPEYE"S) TO GET ME ONE.

FINK

PS

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT WHEN I GET EXCITED I TALK LOUD AND I REALLLLLY LIKE DEEP FRIED PIES :laugh:

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

It sounds to me like Scotland would be a good place to go eat when one wakes up with a raging hangover, and I mean that as a compliment.

Ron - weirdly all the food here seems to be ment to be eaten while drinking or with a hangover. Best hangover cure to date: Vodka and Irn Bru (revoltingly sweet Scottish soft drink/soda) and black pudding and egg butty.

A scottish friend told me the correct way to eat a Scotch pie: Make hole in lid, tilt to pour off fat, replace drained fat with sauce (brown) eat before it cools/sets.

Useful tips. I still remember how I learnt to eat Australian pies - upside down because the hot liquid filling easily leaked through the soggy pastry, and the top was marginally the thickest part of the pie crust.

Hmm, looks like another Jamaica patty on the way home (pies being sadly scarce in New York).

That's how they eat pie down south. They put a whole pie on the table and give you a bowl. Serve up a quarter of it in a bowl , pour heavy cream over the top, and mash it all up.

I hadn't heard of that. I have heard of eating cornbread or biscuits that way. Cornbread broken up in sweetmilk or clabber cream seems to show up in a lot of Southern literature.

The pie and cream and "down south". This means the southern States rather than Shrewsbury and a fruit pie rather than steak and kidney? I hope so. :shock:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My dad ( a Missourian) used to put his cornbread in a glass and pout milk over it before eating it with a spoon. I always thought it was just a trick to gross us kids out.

Fried Pies--in my high school days, I worked at a Hardee's restaurant, where I was in charge of the pie-frying on weekends. We fried ours in the morning, then rolled them in a large pan of cinnamon-sugar before boxing them and placing them under the heat lamp. (the cinn-sugar made out far superior to Micky D's) Somehow, my thumb always went through at least one of them before the morning was over, and then I'd have to eat it---darn. Sometimes the milk shake machine needed to be tested over that pie, too. Double darn.

Stop Family Violence

My dad ( a Missourian) used to put his cornbread in a glass and pout milk over it  before eating it with a spoon. I always thought it was just a trick to gross us kids out.

Funny you should mention that! My car burned to smithereens last weekend and to thank the firemen for doing such a fine job, I took them four coffeecakes. One of the firemen cut himself a piece, stuck it in his coffee mug and, just as you said, poured milk over and devoured it. And he went back for seconds.

As you said, I was "grossed out".

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

My dad ( a Missourian) used to put his cornbread in a glass and pout milk over it  before eating it with a spoon. I always thought it was just a trick to gross us kids out.

Funny you should mention that! My car burned to smithereens last weekend and to thank the firemen for doing such a fine job, I took them four coffeecakes. One of the firemen cut himself a piece, stuck it in his coffee mug and, just as you said, poured milk over and devoured it. And he went back for seconds.

As you said, I was "grossed out".

My grandfather did both of these, except he used buttermilk (back when it was really buttermilk) on the cornbread. My brothers and I still prefer coffeecake (and pound cake) saturated with whole milk.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to make individual fruit pies when I was a teenager. Made my own pie crust and peeled the apples myself. Rolled the crust as thin as possible without fruit damage and a little sugar, flour and lemon over the apples. Seal and fry. I guess they were more like turnovers...

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Just to return us to the original question:

Last night I was surfing and chanced on part of "Ed."  The doctor character was eating at the Stuckeybowl but couldn't be interrupted for conversation because he had "found Nirvana."  He was eating a whole deep fried pie.  Not one of those little pocket things from a vending machine or a fast food franchise but an entire pie.  There was footage of an entire pie being lowered into a deep fat fryer.  Does this happen?  Any good?

So is this possible? Has anyone done this?