• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meyer lemons

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Meyers - I just bought a house and want to start an edible garden. It turns out that meyers are a cross between a lemon and an orange and I want to use as many heirloom veges, etc. as possible. Can someone recommend a lemon tree that I can get in New Zealand which is not a hybrid?

• 1 month later...
Speaking of Meyers - I just bought a house and want to start an edible garden.  It turns out that meyers are a cross between a lemon and an orange and I want to use as many heirloom veges, etc. as possible.  Can someone recommend a lemon tree that I can get in New Zealand which is not a hybrid?

Lisbon variety is a good one

Speaking of Meyers - I just bought a house and want to start an edible garden.  It turns out that meyers are a cross between a lemon and an orange and I want to use as many heirloom veges, etc. as possible.  Can someone recommend a lemon tree that I can get in New Zealand which is not a hybrid?

Um, all lemons are hybrids. Citrus that are ancestral are citrons, pummelos, papedas and mandarin (although many commercial "mandarin" are hybrids).

Lemons (Eureka/Lisbon et al) are an ancient Citron X Lime hybrid

Limes (Mexican/Key/West Indian) are likely are Citron X Papeda hybrid. However the more common (in Australia) Tahitian lime is a Mexican lime X citron (or maybe lemon) hybrid.

Meyer Lemons are likely a sweet orange (also a hybrid) lemon cross. It was introduced from China in the early 20th century, which would make it older then many many heirloom fruit and veg. They are the most cold tolerant of them lemons, so most likely bets for the NZ climate.

That's the most useful explanation of lemons and limes I think I've seen. Concise, clear. Thanks Adam.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."