• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shoulder of Lamb

Rover

I purchased a shoulder of lamb from the butcher with the intention of roasting it. However, when I opened the package, the shoulder had been sliced and chopped into large, thick (1 1/2-inch) chops. Not what I was expecting as my recipe requires a whole shoulder. It's lovely looking lamb and I'm in a state of indecision. Should I braise? Should I stew? I'm even wondering if I can perhaps tie the whole thing together again and proceed with the roast.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Rover

Lamb shoulder -- especially cut into 1-1/2-inch slices -- also braises beautifully.

Brown them and remove; saute some onion and garlic in the rendered fat, then do a pincage (a tablespoon of tomato paste, browned in the pan) and deglaze with wine. Add some herbs for flavor (rosemary is usual, but almost anything works) and stock to bring the liquid level up, and put the chops back in the pan. Cover and braise at a simmer (or put in a 275 F oven) for 45 minutes to an hour -- until you can poke a fork in a chop and remove it without resistance. If you've got two layers of chops, flip them at 25 minutes or so.

When done, take the chops out, degrease the liquid, then reduce until slightly thickened. Taste the sauce for balance: you might need to add a bit of vinegar or brown sugar. Put the chops back in to rewarm. Noodles or rice work well as foils.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.