• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian near the strand

Looking for a suggestion for good Indian near the strand, pre theatre next week.

All suggestions appreciated.  I was thinking red fort, but think it will be too far a walk.

I have always found Mela (152 Shaftesbury Avenue) to be very reliable. It does turn the tables a bit but the food is good.

My one experience of the India club was enough to last me a lifetime, I know that the Majumdars love this place but I had one of the absolute worst Indian meals I have eaten in this country and that includes all the typical high street suspects, there were no redeeming features that I can remember. :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I used to love the India Club, but only because I thought it was good fun. Objectively the food is pretty poor. Am also not a fan of Moti Mahal, I think its trying very hard but the flavours are muted and the service is stuffy. Mela (Shaftesbury Avenue) and Chowki (Piccadilly Circus) are owned by the same people and suprisingly high quality. You were a bit unlucky with Mela I think, usually they are too fast not too slow. There is also Imli in Soho, though its pretty much as far as Red Fort I would say, and not as good. A good option would be Masala Zone in Covent Garden, I know its a chain but I find it to be a pretty good one.

ended up at Moti Mahal, which we enjoyed. Good service. 3 course dinner special through top table at 20£ a very good deal for the quality. Had a chili squid starter, and vegetable kofta with

saffron yoghurt sauce that was wonderful. My dining companions enjoyed their chicken tikka and lamb curry as well. At the discount, it is a no brainer to return.