• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tripe in Little Rock

Abra

Today someone I don't know posted a comment on my blog asking if I could mail him some canned tripe from France. He says he lives in Little Rock and can't find anywhere to go to eat tripe, especially à la mode de Caen.

A) canned tripe isn't very good, and B) there must be an easier way for a guy to get some tripe! Can anyone help him out?

I can try.......I am a couple of hours north of LR, and find the same issues here, finding Anything not pre-cut and "normal". First, find a Mexican market, they usually have tripe and other cuts. Asian markets as well. Where I am, Wal-Mart, (of all places) sometimes carries frozen tripe. Wish him luck.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I'll second what nonblonde said. Assuming this person has already inquired at the butcher shops and meat counters of the grocery stores, I'm still positive there's tripe to be had in Little Rock, if for no other reason, because of the fairly recent influx of the Mexican population in that part of the country. I'm sure there are Mexican markets around but if not, tell him to call the Mexican restaurants and ask if they offer menudo, which is the very popular Mexican tripe soup. Then ask where they get the tripe. If it's not available in any commercial markets or butcher shops (which I personally don't believe is possible, but I could be wrong), they're getting it from a food supplier and I'm sure wouldn't mind ordering a few extra pounds for your friend.

You know, Little Rock is not some tiny backwater town. It's a fairly good-size small city with over three-quarters-of-a-million folks in the total metropolitan area and you can find pretty-much anything there if you put your mind to it.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

And Abra, you might advise your inquirer to go to one of the Mexican restaurants and try the menudo. Since he likes tripe, he might love that soup. Obviously it won't be the same as in Caen, but as it's practically the national soup of Mexico, it is quite tasty.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

He says he lives in Little Rock and can't find ...tripe, especially à la mode de Caen.

Next suggestion, other than buying the tripe and making it himself, is to find a French restaurant with a French chef, become a valued regular, cozy up to the folks in the kitchen, and ask if occasionally they would prepare the dish especially for him.

I am that guy in Little Rock and it's easy to find good fresh tripe in Little Rock. What's impossible and this is not just in Little Rock is to find canned prepared tripe French tripe dishes described In the blog. I first heard of Tripes à la mode de Caen 4 or 5 years ago and since that time I have every few months I get on the internet and spend an hour or two trying to find a site where I can order some. So far I have not been successful. I grew up in Arkansas and have enjoyed fried tripe since I was a child and I've been a big fan of menudo for over 30 years both of which I have no problem getting or preparing. What I have not been able to do is to get access to any of these French tripe dishes. Can anyone help me with that? Edited by Stashie11 (log)

• 1 month later...