• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tokyo for nye

Shirley

I'll be alone in tokyo for about 3 days, I want to make the most of it, so does anybody have any suggestions of what to do and where to go. Price is not really a factor. I know that most of the top end places will be closed.

Thanks,

Ben

I'll be alone in tokyo for about 3 days, I want to make the most of it, so does anybody have any suggestions of what to do and where to go. Price is not really a factor. I know that most of the top end places will be closed.

Thanks,

Ben

Specifically for NYE, you may have to stick to restaurants in a hotel. If you already have your hotel reservations, ask your concierge what will be open, if anything. S/He may also know of other places in the area you would be able to dine at.

Thanks,

Ben

A few ideas to enjoy Japanese style New Years:

New Year's Eve -- go to ZoJoji temple near Tokyo Tower to watch them ring in the new year (108 tolls of the big bell). Nice crowds -- nothing at all like times Square in NYC.

Try to get your concierge to hook you up with a Japanese New Year's (Day) meal (o-sechi ryori) in a hotel restaurant -- good stuff and something you may not have done before.

Not sure if you can get into the Imperial Gardens at the Palace to greet the Emporer and his family for NY. Crowds being greeted (from behind glass on a balcony) by the Imperial family....

Bring some good books - it's a VERY quiet time in town.