• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Szechuan Garden in Hamilton, NJ

alwang

I'm surprised this place doesn't get more buzz from foodies, but Szechuan Garden in Hamilton off of Route 33 is one of the more authentic Sichuan restaurants I've found in the PA/NJ/NY area. In particular, when I do a dish-by-dish comparison to Chengdu 1 in Cedar Grove, I find Szechuan Garden generally superior. That's saying quite a bit, as most would consider Chengdu 1 the preeminent Sichuan restaurant in NJ. Dishes I've had at both include dan dan noodles, chongqing spicy chicken (la zi ji ding), spicy beef tendon, and cumin lamb.

One thing the owners of this restaurant are not very good at is marketing: The restaurant doesn't even come up in a Google local search. However, if you're in the central NJ area, this food is worth seeking out. There are a number of americanized menu items, but authentic Sichuan dishes are available if you're willing to seek them out.

Szechuan Garden

2022 Nottingham Way,Trenton,NJ 08619

---

al wang

I kind of remember going to a dim sum place in that area but not on Nottingham Way. The place I went to was further out toward Robbinsville I think and it was quite good.

I'll have to try this place as it's pretty close to me and there is nothing here even remotely good save for Chinatown Cafe in Langhorne which used to be Joe's Peking Duck House on Race Street in Philly.

Chinese friends of ours universally praise the place and it is indeed a very good restaurant, a big notch above Tiger Noodles in Princeton, which is also quite good. In fact, most of the staff at TN head to Szechuan Garden when they go out locally. "Good as NYC" they typically say.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

When you said Chengdu I thought Glassboro. I guess the name Changdu for Szechuan is like Number One Chinese or Taj Mahal for Indian.

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/bkxYWIu...se-glassboro-nj

Since you're saying best in the NJ/NY/PA area how does it compare to Szechuan Tasty House?

I think it's better than Szechuan Tasty House and Chung King Garden, which I'd say are the two best Szechuan places in Philly. Tasty House is indeed tasty, but I think they tend to be a little greasy. Chung King Garden has that crazy offal selection, but I taste very little Sichuan peppercorn in dishes were I should, like their ma po tofu.

---

al wang

Funny...I had eaten there a couple of times (maybe last time was in the spring) and didn't remember a szechuan focus in the menu. Is this one of those places that has separate menus?

For what it's worth, I used to get a dish called "white meat chicken with eggplant in hot pot". Very tasty, but not at all spicy.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I think it's better than Szechuan Tasty House and Chung King Garden, which I'd say are the two best Szechuan places in Philly.  Tasty House is indeed tasty, but I think they tend to be a little greasy. 

I'm curious as to what you've had at Tasty House. I've been there a few times and never found anything even remotely greasy. I love that place especially those golden coins of eggplant, but I must try Szechuan Garden with all these folks so keen on it.