• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Fish Sauce - no MSG, no gluten

gfron1

Have sourced all sorts of asian sauces sans MSG or artificial colors or flavors. For fish sauce, it's Squid Brand (mine is the third one down the page). The ingredients are anchovy extract, water and salt.

The title says it all.  I'm trying to find such a beast for a friend who misses so many foods.

I wouldn't think that finding one free of MSG would be too terribly much of a problem. Anchovy fish extract is chock full of free glutamates. That's why it's in there.

Gluten may be a different story. Some of them may contain something like "hydrolyzed wheat protein." This is something celiacs have to worry about. I have three brands of fish sauce. Only one (Three Crabs) contains anything other than anchovy fish extract, water and sugar (it contains hydrolyzed wheat protein).

--

Thanks everyone.  Three Crabs is what I currently have - good flavor, but yes, wheat.  But I should be able to find some of these others.

I'm currently on the dregs of a large (7/10 L?) bottle of Three Goldfish brand fish sauce (ingredients water, anchovy extract, salt and sugar. Tasty stuff. After that is a bottle of squid brand (also gluten free) that I bought on the recommendation of a Vietnamese friend.

We are spoiled here in SoCal - in most of the markets I frequent there is an entire *aisle* devoted to fish sauce. So many choices = brain lock.

I bought the three goldfish brand mostly 'cos my wife a marine biologist by trade is a sucker for fish on labels. Also I *do* look at ingredients and tend to reject anything weird (e.g. soyless soy sauce).

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--