• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

avista or Le Café Anglais

Hi Ellen, I haven't been to avista but I was at Cafe Anglais last Tuesday at lunchtime and found it to be great. It is really good value, the execution was very good, the menu nicely varied and their was a generousity about the place that I really liked e.g. really nice olives as a gratis aperitivo and an offer to fill them up again. I liked the place and intend to go there again at night as I think the room is very nice.

If you go there take their separate elevator don't go through Whitelys as that rather spoils the experience!

Have a reservation at Avista for Saturday, but the few reviews have not been great.  Has anyone eaten here?  If not, i can do Cafe Anglais, which but thoughts on that would be welcome as well.

Thanks

Have you seen Andy Hayler's Review?

He is usually a very reliable judge and thought it decent.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

saw the review, but question weather I want to spend 20 quid on entrees that mostly gets 5&6 out of 10.

I may switch to cafe anglais, which sounds more festive on a Saturday night.

Check out Andy's scoring system. A score of 5 or 6 is one star Michelin level. He says that 1/10 is probably in the top 1% of restaurants in the country, so it isn't a system that includes all restaurants, it starts high.

Note: he gave Le Cafe Anglais 3/10 and Avista 5/10 - but obviously always good to make up your own mind.

I like Hayler, for what its worth, probably very little but thought I should counter. I have said on here before but will repeat myself, I've always been a big fan of the observation that used to feature at the front of the Hugh Johnson pocket wine guide- find a critic whos palate matches your own and stick with him/her (my own personal addition is that you can do as well by knowing the areas you disagree with them in, but it still comes down to knowing their taste). So for Roger, he'll rightly ignore or actively take against restaurants well reviewed by Hayler. However, Andy Hayler has a pretty extensive range of reviews online, why not just cross reference your experiences against places he's reviewed and see if your in tune with him.