• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Grill at the Dorchester

Hi,

Last week I was at the Grill with my brother and we both enjoyed it very much.

I had a 7-course tasting menu, whilst he tried the menu du jour. Dealing with this was no problem for the staff, who were great the whole meal.

The MdJ was a more classical selection of dishes - watercress soup, roast rib of beef with yorkshire pudding from the trolley - which my brother was very pleased with.

My dishes were Aiden Byrne creations. His cooking was bold, ambitious and flavourful. I had visited the River Café days before, where the food was simple, light and straightforward; this was pretty much the opposite. Plates were intricately designed and presented, whilst the food was both simply tasty on one level and thought provoking on another.

Byrne, the youngest ever michelin star winner, is clearly a talent (and a nice guy to boot).

Enjoy! The Grill at the Dorchester

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Hi,

Last week I was at the Grill with my brother and we both enjoyed it very much.

I had a 7-course tasting menu, whilst he tried the menu du jour. Dealing with this was no problem for the staff, who were great the whole meal.

The MdJ was a more classical selection of dishes - watercress soup, roast rib of beef with yorkshire pudding from the trolley - which my brother was very pleased with.

My dishes were Aiden Byrne creations. His cooking was bold, ambitious and flavourful. I had visited the River Café days before, where the food was simple, light and straightforward; this was pretty much the opposite. Plates were intricately designed and presented, whilst the food was both simply tasty on one level and thought provoking on another.

Byrne, the youngest ever michelin star winner, is clearly a talent (and a nice guy to boot).

Enjoy! The Grill at the Dorchester

Good to hear - I tried to get in for Sunday lunch and it was fully booked - I think it is popular. I plan to try it on my next visit.

Well, well, well...It looks like we now know exactly when he will be leaving!

I just saw this:

Caterer Search Article

Aiden Byrne will be leaving at the end of Jan 2009 to run his own restaurant/pub/hotel in Cheshire.

The Dorchester are apparently 'shooting for stars' to replace him...

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...