• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freeze dried fruit powder

Lior

I use a brand called "Just Tomatoes" that I buy in the US when I am there. Of course they don't really have too many powders, but it's easy to grind up the whole stuff for the small amounts I need. The powders sell in one pound packages for about $33 US. The whole fruits sell in smaller quantities - a 2.5 oz tub is just over $5 US

www.justtomatoes.com

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I order from freeze dried powders

They will send free samples.  I also buy large cans of whole FD strawberries and raspberries and pulverize them myself.  I have used them in fondant centers for years and now use them in my ganaches.

Can you give us an idea of the cost of their fruit powders?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I order from freeze dried powders

They will send free samples.  I also buy large cans of whole FD strawberries and raspberries and pulverize them myself.  I have used them in fondant centers for years and now use them in my ganaches.

Can you give us an idea of the cost of their fruit powders?

Sorry--it has been years since I ordered and to be honest, the samples they sent lasted a long time:-) I think all FD powders are pricey per pound, but you use so little. I don't remember them as being outragiously priced. Years ago, I bought directly from Oregon Freeze Dry, but they no longer sell in small quantities and they referred me to Van Drunen. They have a large selection. You can even choose seeds or no seeds in the raspberry. They offer drum dried for a lower cost, but I don't think the flavor is as good.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Does anyone have a source for "reasonable" quantities of freeze dried powdered products such as turkey powder, etc? I have tried International Dried Foods, and Oregon Freeze Dry but they only sell their products in very large quantities

Thanks

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...