• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackson, MS & Vicksburg, MS

Morgan_Weber

A friend of mine just moved from Jackson, so I asked her for recommendations. Here's her reply:

Fenians - Irish pub

Keifers - Greek

Primos - southern food; desserts

Que Sera Sera - burgers and red beans & rice

Haru (better than Nagoya)

Amerigos

expensive:

Char

Julep

Nicks

Schimmels

- Mayflower is overrated but it's in downtown Jackson, one of the few old restaurants left.

- Cock of the Walk has good food and is on the reservoir but it's a dump and full of kids. They have excellent fried catfish and turnip greens if you can tolerate the atmosphere.

- Sal & Mookies is new; fun kid-friendly. Same owners as Broad Street which is also good.

- Steam Room Grille is good (seafood), but a little pricey.

- Two Sisters is in an old house; I think they only do lunch. Fried chicken is their specialty.

- Aladdins is pretty good; Mediterranean food. Got a complete facelift after the fire.

Sadly I can't recommend any BBQ place. The Corky's there is not very good; not up to Memphis standards.

Please keep in mind that these her opinions. Others might have differing ones, but perhaps it's a start for you.

cheers

• 10 months later...

I just spent the night in Vicksburg and the restaurant the hotel sent me to was AWFUL. The name was something like Beechwood or some such. Awful. I had the hotel breakfast because I couldn't find anything interesting anywhere.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Don't know if you're flying or driving in to Jackson, or what your time demands are, but the best places to eat are about an hour south or an hour north. In Hattiesburg, MS, try the Purple Parrot; good seafood, Cajun/Creole specialties. In Greenville, do not miss the original Doe's Eat Place; steaks are wonderful, and the tamales, if you don't get them to eat there, well, then you must get some to go.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com