• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irish and Scottish Food

babern38

I recently moved to NJ, though I spend most of my time in NYC and I have been trying to find a place with good irish and scottish food. I've really been craving scotch eggs, but also want the staples of great stews, shepard's pie, and even haggis. Can someone please help me out.

Thanks

Scotch eggs are so easy to make.

Hard cook 3 eggs. Slightly undercook is fine, since you'll be putting them iin the oven and don't want that greenish tinge. Peel eggs.

Take a one pound tube of sausage. Cut in 3 pieces. I like to make my Scotch eggs big, but I guess you can use less.

Flatten sausage on your cutting board, remove with a spatula and wrap around the egg. So it's sort of like a big meatball with a hard cooked egg in the center. Make sure you cover the whole egg, none of the whites show.

Beat one raw egg in a bowl. Put some breadcrumbs in another bowl. When you've wrapped all your eggs, dip the sausage egg in the raw beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Place in a pan, repeat for all your eggs.

Now this next part is totally optional. "Bless" each Scotch egg with....what else, SCOTCH! I put about 1/2 teaspoon scotch over each egg, Macallans 12 year, if you've got it.

Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, then flip eggs and cook another 10-12 minutes.

Serve with Branson pickles ( you can get them at Stop and Shop or Myers of Cheswick).

I cut in 4 pieces like and orange, but you can cut in smaller pieces.

Enjoy.

Now for restaurants, you've got St. Andrews on 44th street, around 5th avenue. And the same owner has Maggies, I forget where. Myers of Cheswick in the village has good food and you can get it to take home.

Or make a short trip to Kearny in Jersey.

Susan

Edited by vloglady (log)

St. Andrews on 44th street serves haggis, but it's not terribly authentic. You'd probably do better to go to Kerney in Jersey. They have a bunch of places. Pipers' Cove has a restaurant attached, I forget the name.

And Myers of Cheswick probably has a canned haggis. I brought some home from Scotland on my last trip, it's not bad.

Susan