• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza ala Batali

rstarobi

He's going to have his hands full in the in the Pizza capitol of the world. I'm including New Haven in this grouping as its close enough by Metro North.

(I've heard people call NYC, the Food Capitol of the world , but I'll only concede Pizza capital)

That said. I think he'll succeed by PR alone. but you can get can get crispy "Italian" style pies in the city already. I haven;t been in a few months but Pizza Gruppo (ave B) turns out the closest thing to an italian pie in the city

Ugh. Difraras.

Every time someone mentions that place I want to beat someone's head in.

Maybe I should go into therapy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason, Nina - I'm going to DiFara's this weekend - I'll throw my essentially weightless opinion on this discussion :laugh:

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

It is over rated, and over discussed. There are tons of other metro area pizzerias that deserve attention.

Its a decent pizza parlor, which would have been characterized as basically an ordinary neighborhood pizza 20 years ago.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

It is over rated, and over discussed. There are tons of other metro area pizzerias that deserve attention.

Its a decent pizza parlor, which would have been characterized as basically an ordinary neighborhood pizza 20 years ago.

It's great, great pizza. Made with wonderful ingredients, by someone who cares a lot and pays a greata deal of attention.

So what if this was common 20 years ago - why is that relevant to the discussion?

And who's stopping you from discussing other pizzerias?'

And what's "over discussed?" You mean YOU'RE sick of of mention of it on Chowhound? And why is that relevant?

I'm just delighted for all my friends in New York that they will finally be able to get proper pizza, the way we've been getting it all over the UK for so many years (apart from all those American fast-food joints that have opened up for the kids) :biggrin:

Anyone who calls a pizza a "pie" should not be tempted to sample real Italian pizza.

I'm with Nina. I love Di Fara.

I have yet to find better by the slice pizza. I'm very tomato sauce oriented, so he sells me on sauce alone. I often go there for pasta just cuz I love the sauce so much. And he really does have good pizza toppings, especially teh artichoke and broccoli rabe.

It has been over discussed because people are passionate about Difara's and about pizza. We are in ny after all. :) One could argue that a lot of the places I love (sripraphai any1?) are overdiscussed. It doesn't diminish their greatness.

The old time pizzaria's are mostly gone (or downhill) now, which is part of why it is great to have Di Fara's stilla round and making great pizza.

Jason,

How many times have yoiu been to Di Fara's? What did you try? Which places do you feel are better, and why?

-Jason

Jason,

How many times have yoiu been to Di Fara's? What did you try? Which places do you feel are better, and why?

I haven't been to DiFara's in the last 2 years because of my recent lactose intolerancy and diary allergy problem. So I can't comment about its quality now.

However, I was there quite a bit when I was a kid when I used to visit relatives and friends who lived in Brooklyn. I always felt the pies were too greasy.

With pizza I am pretty much a purist. Plain pie with 1 or 2 toppings max, usually mushrooms or sausage. And no fresh mozzarella -- its not right for american style pizza.

I went there a few times in 1996 when I was working on a assignment in brooklyn -- in my opinion Totonno's was better at the time, I cant talk about how good or bad Totonnos is now cause I havent been.

On the rare occassion I eat pizza now I reserve it for places like the original Patsy's in Harlem and Kinchley's pizza in NJ. I've yet to try New Haven style.

What I really want is a place that can make a good goat cheese pizza, since goats milk doesnt contain any of the stuff that bothers me.

Jason,

I haven't been to DiFara's in the last 2 years because of my recent lactose intolerancy and diary allergy problem. So I can't comment about its quality now.

However, I was there quite a bit when I was a kid when I used to visit relatives and friends who lived in Brooklyn. I always felt the pies were too greasy.

With pizza I am pretty much a purist. Plain pie with 1 or 2 toppings max, usually mushrooms or sausage. And no fresh mozzarella -- its not right for american style pizza.

I went there a few times in 1996 when I was working on a assignment in brooklyn -- in my opinion Totonno's was better at the time, I cant talk about how good or bad Totonnos is now cause I havent been.

On the rare occassion I eat pizza now I reserve it for places like the original Patsy's in Harlem and Kinchley's pizza in NJ.  I've yet to try New Haven style.

What I really want is a place that can make a good goat cheese pizza, since goats milk doesnt contain any of the stuff that bothers me.

Ah, got it. You ahve in your mind what good pizza should be, and if it fits that mold..then its good. That is the mindset I find in people who don't like Di Fara's. I try to be more open minded when i try things. If it tastes good, its good. :) Please dont take offense Jason. None is intended.

Goats milk/cheese does contain some lactose, enough to bother me a little if I don't take lactaid...but I'm extremely lactose intolerant.

Hey Nina: Do u think Dom would make Jason a goat cheese pizza if he brought the cheese w/him? I feel bad that he can't eat pizza. :)

-Jason

I'll jump in because i'm a BIG fan of pizza (see my thread on the NJ board, linked below).

I think DiFara's is good, not the best piece i've ever had, but it's quite good. I think a plus for DiFara's is that it IS like the pizza parlour of 20 years ago. This is important just for tradition and quality purposes... most of the pizza parlors of 20 years ago have lowered the quality of ingredients, switched to cheese NOT made 100% from milk (ie-added oils), and have cut MANY corners in an attempt to make more profit or in an attempt to make things easier for them (like making sauce to last 2-3 days instead of making fresh every morning). From this standpoint alone, DiFara's is noteworthy as he has not been tempted to dimish his product like so many others have, and therefore still serves a quality product.

On the other hand, i do think it's a bit overated. I often crave pizza from many pizza joints, and i just don't crave pizza from DiFara's. I'd certainly take a friend there (making a trip from NJ) to let him have a DiFara's "experience", which involves the whole atmosphere (or lack thereof) of the place as well as the Tim Conway speed of Dom himself, but nothing i would rave as the best i've ever had. I also don't believe that "true" pizza should come with toppings if you want ot evaluate it correctly.... artichoke, pineapple, even peporoni... how can you judge a pizza when you have other sh*t on it which takes away from the true flavor of the cheese and sauce. Pizzas with various items on them may indeed taste good and some places do it better than others, but i don't consider them pizza in the "true" form. I also think most would agree that pizza is best when it's served fresh, and piping hot, right out of the oven. Due to Dom's slow work pace, you're almost assured of a fresh and hot slice which adds to the consistency (you're almost assured of a long wait for that slice as well).

So i'm bound to be asked, "Who do you think has the best pizza"?

Not a slice place, but my new favorite is Denino's in Staten Island, and i think they have the best pie, bar none. The next place to go to on my "must try" list is Totonno's in Coney Island, as i've heard they have an even better pie than Denino's. I also rave about the great sicillian slices at Sac's in Astoria (B'way and 29th St).

NJ Pizza Link

I just went to Denino's on SI a couple of weeks ago, and it was awful!!! We SO SO SO wanted to love it, had waited ages to go, the pizza looked good, she set it down in front of us, we both took our first bites, and man, what a disappointment. The only thing I found okay was the crust's thinness. They're using second rate cheese, the tomato sauce had no flavor, and overall it was just bland, tasteless, boring nothingness.

Thank goodness for the incredible ices across the street.

"Real connoisseurs of pizza only eat the cheese and sauce. The dough is for tourists."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"Real connoisseurs of pizza only eat the cheese and sauce. The dough is for tourists."

Maybe I missunderstood but "real pizza connoiseurs only eat crust and sauce and maybe a little cheese"

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Let's get back on topic, eh? It appears that Mario's new pizza joint isn't going after basic Neopolitan pizza. It's going after a Sardinian thing. Never having tried this kind of pizza, I'm intrigued. I'm looking forward to the first egulleteer's reviews.

Not to be disagree with anyone, but to me

#1 Crust- Must be thin but outercrust should be somewhat thick and puffy,

#2 Cheese- No crap please, uppe grade mozz, mixed with pecorino, lightly seasoned with fresh greek oregano,

#3 Olive oil- lightly basted over outercrust just to allow cheese and seasonal tomato to ahere without weighing down center of pizza

#4 Use f*****g fresh seasonal tomatoes.

Thank you, I'll be here all week, Lou :smile:

Opps, 3/4 Semolina & 1/4 cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the dough before it hits the oven

Maybe I missunderstood but "real pizza connoiseurs only eat crust and sauce and maybe a little cheese"

I was making a rather in-joke that requires one to always be reading everything posted on all eGullet boards always in order for it to be funny. Personally I love crust. :wub:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM