• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrimp Stock

Katie Meadow

Maine's Fresh Shrimp Harvest runs from December to April

gallery_16643_3977_51495.jpg

They are small - 40/lb - and inexpensive, about $2-$5/lb. So I get it at least twice a week. I make shrimp stock often, and use it to make chowder base all summer.

This is a quick look at a shrimp chowder from local chef Sam Hayward of Fore Street Restaurant. This recipe was published in Saveur Magazine, issue #100

gallery_16643_3977_43096.jpg

Peel three pounds shrimp - reserve heads and shells for stock,

gallery_16643_3977_18450.jpg

Combine with 10 cups cold water - bring to a boil.

gallery_16643_3977_2048.jpg

Lower heat - simmer five minutes

While that cools, render 1/4cup blanched salt pork and added 2 large russet potato, chopped and a leek, white only,

gallery_16643_3977_1736.jpg

Cook gently for five minutes. Then added 3cups shrimp broth.

gallery_16643_3977_8262.jpg

Simmer gently, covered for ten minutes.

Then melt 3tbsp of butter, turn heat to high, and add chilled shrimp meat and 3/4cup of heavy cream.

gallery_16643_3977_12579.jpg

Boil 30 seconds...

gallery_16643_3977_2593.jpg

Then gently fold into the chowder base and let rest for ten minutes, covered.

gallery_16643_3977_1209.jpg

Add Salt, generous grinds of fresh black pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

gallery_16643_3977_24131.jpg

So there's an idea.

I know these smaller shrimp behave differently than the larger ones, so when making stock, I'd lengthen the simmer to 20 or so minutes and maybe add a bay leaf and fennel fronds.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks to all for excellent ideas. Johnny, your pix look wonderful. I think some simple type of chowder is in my near future, and an etouffee not long after. The annual November pre-Thanksgiving "anti-poultry" campaign in my house is gearing up.

Thanks to all for excellent ideas. Johnny, your pix look wonderful. I think some simple type of chowder is in my near future, and an etouffee not long after. The annual November pre-Thanksgiving "anti-poultry" campaign in my house is gearing up.

You're welcome Katie. Happy to help. Note the ten cups of water: that ensures the shrimp detritus is well-scrubbed of deliciousness so one can reduce it further after passing through a sieve. I realized that after thawing three quarts of frozen shrimp stock this summer and found some pretty weak stuff. The stock flavor has to definitely come through - but not overwhelm - your chowder.

Good luck!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Another dish I like with shrimp stock is Shrimp & Grits. The recipe I've used is from the Lee Bros cookbook. Rather than their method for making the stock I just use my own. While the dish is Shrimp & Grits I frequently just use rice instead of grits and everyone loves it.

I typically save my shrimp shells and then make and freeze a batch of shrimp stock. Personally I like using chicken stock (also home made) as a base which produces a really rich and tasty as well.

I haven't tried it yet but I may try some poaching with the shrimp stock as ell.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

How does the shrimp stock figure in to the shrimp 'n' grits? In the grits or in a sauce for the shrimp? When I make shrimp 'n' grits I don't use any stock. My grits are cooked with water first and then some milk, and I grill or quick-saute my shrimp with some spicy seasoning. I top the grits with a fresh tomato salsa and then just scatter on the shrimp. Truth to tell, I'm so happy with grits and hot sauce I don't care if I have any shrimp.

The shrimp stock is used in the sauce. The shrimp stock is also thickened with a roux and is in combination with the tomatillo/tomato, bell pepper, & Jalapeno mixture. (bacon also) -- The shrimp are added at the very end since they only take a minute or so to cook --- while I love it with grits, I more often do it over rice since my wife is not as keen on grits as a savory dish

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo