• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drink made with avocado and alcohol

Chufi

Ther is a great bar called Bramble in Edinburgh which does an avocado daiquiri, muddle 1/4 avo with agave syrup and pass through a sieve, add lime juice and rum shake over ice and double strain - it is delicious.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 4 years later...

Isn't the Spanish word for avocado aguacate?

That's true of Mexico. But different Spanish speaking countries have different words. For example, in Chile they call avocados "paltas".

I also remember seeing on Alton Brown's Good Eats show I learned of a drink called babine which they describe as a beer like beverage made from avocado leaves. Searching the internet just leads to a circle of information for people asking how to do it. No answers.

Stuart: Chicha de Aguacate or Chicha de Palta (Palta, btw, is the name for the avocado from Peru south - Ecuador and north uses Aguacate, and this largely because there was an actual tribe of people called Paltas in Ecuador and Colombia, who had trade northwards). The leaves are chewed up and spit into a vessel (these days a plastic one, but most authentically it should be clay) along with either manioc root or plantain and allowed to ferment lightly until it's sort of fizzy....

There are better chichas available; the best chicha de aguacate I've ever tried was made with both the leaves and the fruit.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

There was an article in the NYT a couple of months ago about cold soups spiked with spirits. They featured a cucumber soup with Hendrick's and avocado which tasted quite good. It is more like a savoury cocktail, especially if you add a pinch of salt. I thought that adding cilantro would be interesting, however the original was much better.

The cold soup/cocktail worked pretty well with a batch of freshly fried shrimp croquettes ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374089825.876691.jpg