• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

10 Days ?

I will be in the UK for 10 days starting on Nov. 23, i do have some family obligations, but I am looking for a "Chef's" (chef run, where chef's would eat) restaurant. I will be based out of Liverpool, but I have a rail pass and traveling is not a problem. I would like to stay in the northern half of the UK.

Any suggestions ?

I have thought about:

Sat Bains

The Kitchin

Anthony's

Plas Bodegroes

anywhere else?

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

fraiche on the wirral, so you'll only need a bus/taxi!

you won't go far wrong with your list.

j bakers in york perhaps (as it is easy to get to by train from liverpool)

there's others but they are not easily accessible eg the star at harome, yorke arms.

you don't win friends with salad

Champignon Sauvage every time - I will write up my review shortly but I had an absolutely incredible meal there on Saturday. David is an exceptional chef and the food we had was easily 3 star Michelin. Go, go, go, go!!!!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

So far,

lunch on the 25th at J. Bakers in York,

Dinner later at The Kitchin.

We have an 8 day Brit Rail Flex pass, I have looked at the train times and the first day will be tight but workable.

I am waiting to hear from Le Champignon Sauvage for a lunch date later in the week.

Sat Bains is a maybe, Purnells is also on the list, but I'm not sure about "pineapple & cheese on a stick"

My mother told me that the Pub of the year was in Chester, The Plough or something, any word?

M. Schmidt

Cafe909.com

If you are working to tight train times it is probably worth bearing in mind that Sat Bains is located outside Nottingham City Centre - approx 10 min taxi ride each way.

As my local fine dining option I have enjoyed dining at Sats many times - my only slight criticism is that if the dining room is not full the atmosphere can feel a little sterile. Still that may be just me!

Champignon Sauvage every time - I will write up my review shortly but I had an absolutely incredible meal there on Saturday.  David is an exceptional chef and the food we had was easily 3 star Michelin.  Go, go, go, go!!!!

i went a couple of weeks ago and shamefully still have posted the report - I've run out of superlatives. Of particular note was the lobster with nougat foam - staggeringly good. have another booking in a couple weeks

Lunch on Friday the 28th with a tour of the kitchen at Le Champignon Sauvage.

With enough time I'll make it to Anthony's and or Purnell's

You are in for an absolute treat!!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?