• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Paillete Feuilletine

Scout_21

I've been dying to use my paillete feuilletine, i bought a box of it this summer, i wanted to add a different texture to some of my chocolates.  I added it to praline cream from JP Wybauw Fine chocolates p86.  This was probably not the ideal choice, the feuilletine ended up sort of soggy, not the crunchy i was looking for, though some people enjoyed the texture.  I believe that the cream part of the recipe "wet" the feuilletine.  Would it work better in a straight praline recipe?

What other use in chocolates have you tried with feuilletine?

Thanks for the input

Peter

It works great with praline paste.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 3 months later...

to add one more to this thread, I went to Chef Rubber's location last week. They were out of Paillete Feuilletine.

The guy there (Paul I think) suggested two substitutions for a non pro like me who was using it in small quantities.

The first was sugar cones for ice cream, ground up.

The second, was tuile batter thinly spread out, baked for 30 seconds. He said that's what Paillete Feuilletine was.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

to add one more to this thread, I went to Chef Rubber's location last week.  They were out of Paillete Feuilletine.

The guy there (Paul I think) suggested two substitutions for a non pro like me who was using it in small quantities. 

The first was sugar cones for ice cream, ground up. 

The second, was tuile batter thinly spread out, baked for 30 seconds.  He said that's what Paillete Feuilletine was.

Here's a place, I just found, that will sell you a pound of it. Just get the real thing, don't substitute.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar