• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the eternal cake pan depth question

devlin

As with everything in life, size matters :wink:

If you are doing four layers of cake (three thin layers of filling), you'd want the 2" pan. (cutting each cake in half gives you the four layers) If you are doing three layers of cake and two layers of filling, you can do either. With a 2" pan, you'll have one extra layer; with the 3" pan, you'll have to see how the cake bakes to see how thick each layer will be. The 2" pans will bake faster compared to the 3" pans - the trick is not to overfill the 3" pans. Plus, if you are aiming for a 4" high cake (finished) your filling layer with a 3" pan will be thicker

For me, the deciding factor was the ovens I was using at the time I bought most of my pans. I couldn't get the velvety texture I wanted in a 3" high pan. Having said that, the imported Australian pans are only available in a 3" height and for the larger pans, I end up baking the large size twice to get the texture I want and the height I need (so I end up with four layers of cake).

As with everything in life, size matters  :wink:

If you are doing four layers of cake (three thin layers of filling), you'd want the 2" pan.  (cutting each cake in half gives you the four layers) If you are doing three layers of cake and two layers of filling, you can do either.  With a 2" pan, you'll have one extra layer; with the 3" pan, you'll have to see how the cake bakes to see how thick each layer will be.  The 2" pans will bake faster compared to the 3" pans - the trick is not to overfill the 3" pans.  Plus, if you are aiming for a 4" high cake (finished) your filling layer with a 3" pan will be thicker

For me, the deciding factor was the ovens I was using at the time I bought most of my pans.  I couldn't get the velvety texture I wanted in a 3" high pan.  Having said that, the imported Australian pans are only available in a 3" height and for the larger pans, I end up baking the large size twice to get the texture I want and the height I need (so I end up with four layers of cake).

See, I knew a pro like you would give me an answer like that. :biggrin:

Looks like I'll have to buy some of both.

Thanks! Despite my desire for a definitive answer one way or another, I appreciate your wisdom.

Since I can't afford to buy all the pans I want when I want them, though, I've been buying 3" pans first--since I can fill them as though they were 2" pans. It doesn't work in reverse, though! :laugh:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Since I can't afford to buy all the pans I want when I want them, though, I've been buying 3" pans first--since I can fill them as though they were 2" pans.  It doesn't work in reverse, though! :laugh:

Yes, that's been my dilemma and also my solution as well. Since I've amassed enough 3" pans in various shapes and sizes already, I figured I might as well revisit the depth issue again, and wondered whether the 2" would actually lend some better value to the cake in some way, and apparently it does.

I'm avoiding suggesting to my husband I might have to buy something some day soon to hold all this stuff because my cabinets are by now overflowing.

Edited by devlin (log)

When I first graduated from culinary school I bought a set of 4-inch cake pans - and thought they were "the bomb". I would bake my cakes in them, then line them with plastic wrap and build the wedding cakes in them (filling and cake layers). But, the more I baked, the more I found myself using my 2-inch pans for baking cakes and didn't need to go through the hassle of building the filled cakes in the lined pans, then cleaning it all up.

I like the texture of cakes from the 2-inch pans, as JeanneCakes says. I have a better chance of getting cakes that are thoroughly baked through the center, without over-browned sides in 2-inch pans.

I also find that I get more consistent results when baking 4 layers of cake in two 2-inch deep pans, where all layers are the same height. I'm not always as accurate when slicing one cake into 4 layers.

My 4-inch handmade round cake pans sit on the shelves, but the 2-inch pans get used almost constantly.

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog