• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crusty bits, crumbs and heels

snowangel

I'm the mom, but I have competition. Now that Diana has turned 18, she's discovered the joy of crust. My kids know that the heels if the loaves of bread are mine, and mine alone (at least if they value their lives). But, Diana and I have battled, of late, over the corners of pans of brownies, stradas, etc.

Then there was my desperation moment today. Helping to prep for a church funeral, I realized I simply didn't have enough time to bake the bazillion dozen cookies I have been asked to do, so I patted a big lot of the dough into an 11x17 (not going to the edges) on top of parchment, and baked. The edges were irregular, and rather crispy, so as I took the pizza cutter to this "pan of bars," there were all sorts of crispy bits that fell off. Oh, my, heaven, and I don't even really like baked goods.

I guess this is why, when I fry chicken, I make sure and fry all of the backs I've saved for just such a purpose. Crispy bits and heels (and, BTW, I'm not much of a chip person -- it's gotta be something out of the kitchen).

So, where do you fall? In the soft middle or the crispy, crunchy edges?

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The edge pan to the rescue!

I bought one of those, then a second one and now I have four, two unused, for "just in case" they stop making them.

I also use the perforated pans for some things to get a really nice crust on the bottom. Not just for pizza!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am a bread fiend, and have always been, so I could just fill up on bread if/when I let myself. But yes, the heels are most certainly mine, and I've never had to compete for them. I also like to buy smaller things like crusty rolls so that I have a better crust-to-soft-bits ratio.

The edge pan to the rescue!

I bought one of those, then a second one and now I have four, two unused, for "just in case" they stop making them.

I also use the perforated pans for some things to get a really nice crust on the bottom. Not just for pizza!

So I see you like the pan, then, andiesenji? :raz: I saw that it was reviewed favorably by Cooks Illustrated a few issues ago, and it sounds amazing, but I didn't buy it because I lack the space for something that's so single function. Well, my 9x13 is a little weird for baked goods (it's a deep roasting/lasagna pan), so maybe I'll just get the edge pan for the few sweet things I make from time to time!

(edited for spelling)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

On the website for my local cookware store, while checking to see if they had the Baker's Edge, I saw this: Slice Solutions Bakeware. I wonder how much it ends up browning between pieces... The metal divider doesn't look like it conducts too much heat, but who knows. Anyone care to comment?

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

eG Ethics Signatory

I get the heels everytime. Heaven help the person who fights me for them.

I love any crusty, crunchy part of a dish. The edges of lasagna are divine.

If my jaws hurt when I get through eating bread, then it was good and I got the best parts.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

For bread, the heels.

For lasagna, the edges.

For turkey, the cap of stuffing that gets all browned and crunchy at the back opening. (And then the gooey insides. I love stuffing.)

But for brownies, the center.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I will chime in and agree on the heels, edges, whatever crusty bits. Snowangel- I am interested that Diana's taste has shifted. I am constantly amazed when my son leaves those best bits on his plate. Perhaps his tastes will change?

Oh yes, the crunchy, crusty bits. A bagel store that I used to frequent always had a couple of bagels that were a bit "overdone" for their average customer (more brown than beige) and I would happily take them off their hands.

Muffin tops are also a great manifestation of the well-cooked outer crusts...pull that perimeter crunchy edge off...the spongy bottom of the muffin gets a quick toast in the oven...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I just bought the pan, and I'll try making some brownies tonight!

I get the heels everytime. Heaven help the person who fights me for them.

I love any crusty, crunchy part of a dish. The edges of lasagna are divine.

If my jaws hurt when I get through eating bread, then it was good and I got the best parts.

Shellfishfiend (and purplewiz), the Bakers Edge people are making a lasagna pan! :-D They also mention in the FAQ that you can use the regular one, but the noodles might need to be shortened a bit.

(edited to add a link and stuff)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

eG Ethics Signatory

I'm a fan of crispy bits of meat, which were mentioned early on, but I guess I don't see how that relates to crusts and outside cuts of baked goods. I don't really care that much about bread crust -- I can take it or leave it. But I've never cared for the outside pieces of anything baked. Too dry and overcooked for my tastes.

As I live alone, and am able to please myself, I have perfected the technique of carving off all the crust on an artisan loaf, first cutting off each end then with a long serrated knife, I can make a cylindrical cut to remove the crust in one piece.

The bare "crumb" is sliced and cubed, allowed to dry and frozen as is or converted into bread crumbs.

Buttered and toasted, with a judicial application of grated cheese, usually sharp, this makes a meal for me when combined with a salad or vegetables.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett