• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Times & Temps for Roasting Several Items

CDRFloppingham

I am planning to roast a spatchcocked chicken (with hot start from stovetop...estimate 35 minutes at 425).

I also want to roast some acorn squash halves and some fingerlings.

I think that all could be done at 425.

Could I get some guidance from the chefs and experienced home cooks here regarding when to throw each item in? I do have convection.

Thanks so much.

Floppy

Halved squash should take roughly the same time as the chicken, assuming they're both fairly normal size. Throw them both in at the same time, and take each out when it's done. One or the other can rest a few minutes without difficulty.

I'd skip the stovetop start but I'd bring the (pre-spatchcocked, pre-seasoned, on a rack) chix and the squash out of the fridge maybe 45min before cooking.

Fingerlings... about 25 min at 425f convection.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

All I can say is that there is no set time for any one thing to be done. So, I'd start checking on the doneness of the different items after 20 minutes; at that point, if something is fully cooked, it can be removed and either kept warm, or allowed to come to room temperature.

To say something is done in 30 minutes or so, doesn't take into account the size of the item or the variances in individual cooking appliances.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

cooking time for the squash will depend upon the prep on the squash (whole/halved/sliced). My concern would be re: overbrowning w/o cooking through on the veg.

If everything is the same thickness, say 1" or so, then timing should work out ok. The chicken can rest if the veg is not done enough :-) Resting is good.

Karen Dar Woon