• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap homemade chocolate melter

Chocolot

I cleaned out my garage today and came across a melter I made several years ago and thought someone might be interested in seeing it. On the inside is an $8 accent light from Lowe's for the heat source. I plugged it into a dimmer switch (the most expensive part of this project). The first one I made, I cut the hole in the bucket with a knife. Using a hollow door drill is much easier and safer. The bowl is $5 at WalMart. If you have a 5 gallon bucket already, you are into this less than $20. Not great, but the price is right. I used it (actually several of them) for years especially when teaching classes with sparse facilities. You have to watch white chocolate carefully as it will tend to burn. It is slow, but if you plan ahead, it works fine. I used a dinner plate for a lid.

gallery_60187_6088_104127.jpg

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I cleaned out my garage today and came across a melter I made several years ago and thought someone might be interested in seeing it.

I am trying not to get too excited as you directed, but I think I might show this one to Ed, my DH, who can build anything. Thanks for telling us about it. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.